Yes!! Kamala Harris brings down the house with supercharged speech in North Carolina (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/18/yes-kamala-harris-brings-down-the-house-with-supercharged-speech-in-north-carolina-video.html

12 Likes

( this is another way to hear the same speech, in a non twitter format )

27 Likes

Because when we fight… we don’t need guns for change… instruments of hate and violence. We have the VOTE! We have the power!

17 Likes

Pearl-clutching by commentators. “Such violent talk!”

18 Likes

10 Likes

Backs against the wall, she’s finally being properly coached. I think the DNC’s trying not to get caught flat footed and keep control of the narrative, bless their little hearts. The timing suggests there may be a little back room Pelosi finesse to this.

6 Likes

For Real Basketball GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

19 Likes

You’re right, obviously, there’s no way Kamala Harris is responsible foŕ her own performance.

20 Likes

It could be both. She’s a great speaker, intelligent and compassionate, but I do feel sometimes people have given her bad advice. On second thought, yeah. It’s the word coached that irritates. It makes it seem like it’s not her own doing, even if the coaching in this case seems to be: be more herself.

It’s a problem for us progressives and liberals, because we want to recognize the team effort but also celebrate the individual excellence.

Let me reiterate: I love Kamala Harris as a candidate, and as a politician. I think she’s done wonderful things, is a great, effective vice president and will be a worthy successor to Joe when the time comes. The only reason I am not pushing for her to be president now is because our current prez is still doing a great job despite the press feeding frenzy.

10 Likes

By now it should be obvious to Americans (but somehow isn’t) that when Trump talks about unity he means that the country should unite behind him. When he says that violent rhetoric should be toned down, he means that Democrats should shut up.

14 Likes

His idea of unity is “one people, one empire, one leader.”

3 Likes

Too fucking right! Where’s she been all these months? Told not to overshadow Biden, perhaps?
Only coming out with this stuff now that there’s a real chance Biden is already too overshadowed and will step down?
FFS!

1 Like

Um… on the fucking campaign trail. She’s been to Georgia at least a half dozen times!

14 Likes

So the media have not been covering speeches like this, I guess. Figures.

13 Likes

When everyone tries to compete to get the most cynical and conspiratorial take with the most dismissive and negative read on the performance of a notable black woman who is often called “unlikable” while still preserving enough progressive karma.

5 Likes

About that, Idid not hear any mention of Biden’s performance at his rally in Michigan last Friday. Except for his big flub at the start of corse. Other than that it was quite lively, energetic and positive. Why no coverage of that?

6 Likes

Harris should have been doing this years ago. I fear it may be too little, too late. I have zero faith in her ability to out-campaign Trumplethinskin. I hope I’m wrong.

She has been. But, much like Biden’s record, it doesn’t get media coverage. :woman_shrugging: She’s been in my state… probably like half a dozen times now for this election. She’s out on the trail doing her job as a candidate. She’s also been all over the world, doing her job as VP, but again, since the media is rather obsessed with normalizing fascism, the boring story of a VP doing their job pretty well doesn’t get coverage…

Because it calls the “biden is old” narrative into question.

8 Likes

If nothing else, Kamala’s speech and performance would reassure worried Dems (and Independents leaning toward Biden) about her soundness and strength for the Presidency should Biden “falter” (or worse) while in office. So… vote for Biden, people. Kamela’s got his back.

4 Likes

We need to flog this. Repeatedly, Until people get sick of us complaining about it, and even then keep up the pressure.

Far too long the authoritarians have been working the refs, and pressuring those media outlets they don’t own. We need to push back before they push us off the cliff.

2 Likes