Yet another vocal anti-vax talk show host dies from Covid-19

The English term slave derives from the ethnonym Slav. In medieval wars many Slavs were captured and enslaved, which led to the word slav becoming synonym to “enslaved person”.[21][22][23] In addition, the English word Slav derives from the Middle English word sclave , which was borrowed from Medieval Latin sclavus or slavus ,[22][24][25] itself a borrowing and Byzantine Greek σκλάβος sklábos “slave,” which was in turn apparently derived from a misunderstanding of the Slavic autonym (denoting a speaker of their own languages). The Byzantine term Sklavinoi was loaned into Arabic as Saqaliba (صقالبة; sing. Saqlabi , صقلبي) by medieval Arab historiographers. However, the origin of this word is disputed.[26][27] In 1995, for the first time, a version was expressed, according to which the Greek word Σκλάβινοι does not come from the self-name of the Slavs, but from the Greek verb σκυλεύο - “to extract spoils of war”.[28][29] According to this version, the self-name of the Slavs and their Modern Greek name coincided phonetically purely by chance.

4 Likes

Sorry if I caused offence.

I’ll leave it to actual Slavs to decide whether they are offended.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Or he was fighting on the side of COVID and got betrayed?
These people boggle the mind, boggle the heart, boggle the stores of empathy I used to have on hand. They fucking boggle.

4 Likes

Oh, you can’t get betrayed by covid, because it never promises anything.

It feels like the ultimate manifestation of the “leopards ate my face” phenomenon.

5 Likes

But that “pooping cats” calendar, that’s a prime gift idea.

2 Likes

Touché.
Although, one could argue that to a certain group of people, they at least thought covid promised to kill of all the poors and the minorities.
Your leopards party comparison is quite apt.

5 Likes

“I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in laughter and then threw a party.” – Obi-Wan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.