You aren't spending enough money, so corporations keep inventing new "National [whatever]" days

Originally published at: You aren't spending enough money, so corporations keep inventing new "National [whatever]" days | Boing Boing

2 Likes

We are coming up on “gluttony day”, where you over eat with people the rest of the year you wouldn’t
pee pee on if they were on fire to put them out. Good times…

7 Likes

19 Likes
6 Likes

That is my favourite day.
Oh wait, no, my favourite day is a Tuesday.
I think it’s in February.
Or is it March?
I forget.
Oh, fuck it.

4 Likes

Here in Canada it is actually the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, a newly created federal holiday to, hopefully, help us begin dealing with the history of genocide against indigenous peoples.

I appreciate the cynicism about avocado day, but this is a bit different. Unfortunate timing for a random blog post I guess.

6 Likes

Episode 4 GIF by South Park

4 Likes

We had a calendar in the office from some printing company that listed all these random holidays. There was at least one for every day of the year. In a way, if you squint hard it starts to feel like some kind of pantheistic calendar, with some or another minor deity to celebrate every day. Given the bizarre fandom and social media personalities of corporations, I suppose it’s not too far from truth.

7 Likes

i’m rather partial to the first saturday in may. Free Comic Book Day!

5 Likes

Happy Love Day!

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s necessarily anything to buy on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. So, we got one that’s not corporate going for us. Which is nice.

9 Likes

Screenshot_20220930-140602_DuckDuckGo

5 Likes

If I don’t get paid double-time for working that day, then it’s just a wannabe, not a holiday.

4 Likes

I have a strong suspicion that “Record Store Day” just an attempt by BIG VINYL to sell more records. :rage:

3 Likes

Pirates don’t PAY for things, they LOOT them!

Or sometimes just borrow them from the library…

7 Likes

The many joys of Talk Like Robert Newton Day belong to no corporation! :pirate_flag:

6 Likes

(Gen-Z pirates excepted)

7 Likes

Some of the National Days are for underpaid professionals. Administrative assistants, CNAs, overworked, underpaid, definitely not respected, but one day a year someone says “thanks or whatever, here’s a cookie”

3 Likes

There’s lots of room for more holidays, and many things to celebrate, but don’t dance to their tune. Ignore the fake holidays (unless free food samples are involved) and make your own. Even if it’s celebrating the same thing, make Donut Appreciation Day or whatever whenever YOU feel it should fall in the year.

1 Like

Thanksgiving as we know it today was basically invented to promote a magazine that ran a lot of recipes and articles about food

1 Like