You could live in a lighthouse auctioned off by the US government

Yeah, that’s the part that worries me. Mind you, I’ve been eyeing the one on the Chesapeake where we don’t get a lot of fog but the idea of spending a few quiet nights out there only to be fog-horned into wakefulness for a full night sounds miserable. Still, I’m tempted.

Also - to all y’all - jeez! I was hoping this auction would stay under the radar. It’s getting far too much publicity!

CC

1 Like

There was a similar auction on canal houses along the C & O Canal that starts in Georgetown, DC. I believe the press reported on them just after the auctions took place.

Ooo… between that and the issue of reliable utilities, there goes my idea of converting it into a recording studio.

1 Like

I could be terribly wrong, but I have a feeling that anyone willing to live in a lighthouse would be willing to forego certain ‘luxuries’.

2 Likes

That might have interesting acoustics!

Wow. That’s some potentially pricey real estate.

And, as we listen’d in the gloom
Of that forsaken living-room–
O chill clutch on our breath–
We thought how ill-chance came to all
Who kept the Flannan Light:
And how the rock had been the death
Of many a likely lad:
How six had come to a sudden end
And three had gone stark mad:
And one whom we’d all known as friend
Had leapt from the lantern one still night,
And fallen dead by the lighthouse wall:
And long we thought
On the three we sought,
And of what might yet befall…

…We seem’d to stand for an endless while,
Though still no word was said,
Three men alive on Flannan Isle,
Who thought on three men dead.

– Wilfrid Wilson Gibson: Flannan Isle

http://www.poetry-archive.com/g/flannan_isle.html

1 Like

Sure does. It’s a region of the state where, in June, a banana takes over 5 minutes to freeze solid.

1 Like

Hey, it’s a man-cave with a HUGE moat!

2 Likes

That orange one does rather look like it escaped from Myst …

2 Likes

Transit Kings - The Last Lighthouse Keeper
"Living in a giant candle, winking at God."

1 Like

Ohh, this would be so nice for the off-Broadway musical version of Seagulls Over Sorrento I have set my heart on.

This is like the “Homes of Tomorrow” in the National Lakeshore in Beverly Shores Indiana. You do the work and pay for it, but you live rent and tax free for the rest of your life, in a very cool place… depending on your age, skills, and money, this could be a great deal.

1 Like

Don’t lick the walls.

1 Like
1 Like

Guy Maddin lighthouse livin’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_upon_the_Brain!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.