"You shouldn’t be doing that" mansplainer lectures PGA pro Georgia Ball on her golf swing (video)

Maybe she should’ve smiled more.
:roll_eyes:

22 Likes

Ah yes… if we just smiled more, men would stop mansplaining to us and instantly respect our expertise! Works EVERYTIME!!! /s

17 Likes

Her look to the camera says it all.

She was in the last 5 minute slot on Today programme today

Hope you can access it.

7 Likes

30 Likes

Yeah, I think a thing a lot of men don’t realize is that there truly is no “acceptable” response.
If you’re “rude” (read: react like a normal human would) you face potential violence.
If you try to be polite by simply ignoring them, whoo boy, that is dangerous. Ignoring them makes them MAD.
If you try to deflect by being friendly (like this woman did), then it essentially invites more interaction, which, then you’re stuck in the loop.

She just wanted to practice her golf stroke, ffs. But she had to deal with this asshole, not knowing how things might go if she wasn’t polite enough, or was too polite.

20 Likes

I’ll just leave this here:

7 Likes

while reframing the interaction, and therefore discounting the op and the experiences of multiple women on this thread, is itself a form of mansplaining… even if it were true, that’s just more sexist behavior.

there is a time and a place to flirt. men expecting that any woman at any time or in any place would remotely be interested in, flattered by, or otherwise receptive to sexualized advances is a problem

men need to let women live their lives without introducing a constant barrage of solicitation

24 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

18 Likes

Saoirse Ronan Bingo GIF by A24

21 Likes

I read about this incident in the Guardian, which mentioned that lots of people were unironically giving her unsolicited tips on how she should have handled the guy giving her unsolicited tips.

Came here to say “can you believe people are mansplaining how to respond to mansplainers?!”

Alas. You can all believe it.

I should have known.
:angry:

And no, the Guardian didn’t make the connection explicit, unfortunately.

[Edited for clarity]

15 Likes

The way she sort of froze a couple of times as she, club on shoulder, looked over at the buffoon. Gave me the strong impression that she was thinking of what his noodle would look like if she clobbered it. Well, likely the wrong impression, but it did give me great pleasure to think that.

3 Likes

This should be the tagline of the Hacker News comment section. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people on there who think they know better than subject matter experts, especially when those experts are women.

9 Likes

Hell yes! I can’t imagine how great it would feel to get a hole in one. Getting three of them would send me over the moon! Congratulations to your dad!

4 Likes

Thanks. I would pass along the congrats, but I don’t talk to my dad. He’s been unable to accept my being trans. That’s that “far from perfect” part I mentioned. Which illustrates my point. The bar of behavior needed to not mansplain is actually really, really low, which is why the fact that it’s so common is so infuriating.

15 Likes

I know that must have been a painful decision. But he does not deserve you

Awesome You Are The Best GIF by Altibox

14 Likes

Sound only, but played (in the States) fine.

3 Likes

It is a radio programme, glad you were able to hear it.

2 Likes

Oh come on, give him a smile…

dammit. I made it worse, didn’t I? :sadly ironic smile:

She was MORE than patient with the guy. And offering a suggestion to someone just LAUNCHING a long iron like that??? I’ve NEVER heard or read someone suggesting a FASTER takeaway, slower, however is super common advice. And taking credit for an identical shot, is just <chef’s kiss>.

Golf is a particularly bad space for women. My wife went to a golf store to buy me a birthday present soon after we were married. I wanted a driving iron/2 iron, but the dude tried really hard to convince her that she was mistaken and that what I wanted was a hybrid/rescue club. She found a different store with a female sales person, I still carry that 2 iron as my rescue club, and she bought a full set for herself a couple months later.

The next video in her tiktok is a more than fitting followup.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.