Young people retaliate with shocking finality to unchecked abuse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/young-people-retaliate-with-sh.html

18 Likes

Note that the skaters retaliate after three unprovoked strikes, but when the asshole goes down from being binked with the skateboard, the teens in question do NOT continue to beat on him.

101 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that gens y & z in the states have remained pretty zen up until this summer. After all the shit we/they have been through, I thought things would have started to be set on fire back in early 2018.

36 Likes

The framing of the narrative is pretty predictable for the Daily Mail.

33 Likes

It’s been a long time coming, but change GON’ come…

46 Likes

I don’t know how representative it is of the current skating culture as a whole, but I’ve been taking my 10-year old to the local skate park and the people there have been remarkably welcoming to new people and very polite to each other. Pretty much the opposite of what many (maybe older?) people think of when they picture a group of skaters. Definitely nothing like in the “Lords of Dogtown” film where everyone was total jerks.

The younger generations that grew up without high levels of tetraethyl lead in their brains give me real hope for the future.

54 Likes

I am about to go lunch at my family. Could get real, fast, 'cause there’ll be minestrone.

16 Likes

young people retaliating with shocking finality to unchecked abuse is going to be the story of the decade.

Here’s hoping!

37 Likes

You better wear a helmet! Lunching is a great way to get hit in the head with a skateboard.

8 Likes

Never got into fights… But as my dad said: “let them give the first shot. If you get out that, go all out against them.”. If it would be me, I would hit them with the skate until I split it in two

8 Likes

Kids did the right thing

25 Likes

Maybe if you’re an aggressively violent yob who really has it coming. Are you?

4 Likes

The implicit point in including the Daily Mail coverage is that this has been on the cards for decades, basically since the 1990s, but is stymied by how the media covers it and how society as a whole assents to that narrative.

The London Riots in 2011, for example, were broadly speaking “young people and minorities sick of mistreatment” and were at that time met by disgust at those rioting and the broadening of police powers, all driven by media contempt.

The dissolving of all truths applies to the bad as well as the good, though. So next time, who knows.

33 Likes

Sam Cooke FTW!

6 Likes

“shocking finality”

…Did they kill the dude?

9 Likes

My job brings me into continuous contact with young adults, 18-23, and let me tell you, kids these days . . . give me a hell of a lot of hope for the future.

30 Likes

Pity the first victims weren’t quite fast enough to get their boards in the way of the punches, that’s a badly fractured set of knuckles right there, but the actual hit on the meathead was a good solid one, and hopefully left him in a world of pain.

12 Likes

Just wait until it’s nursing home choice time…

11 Likes

Wow. That was like a Harmony Korine movie.

5 Likes

I think it’s the Grand Central Market?

6 Likes