Young school boy shouts profanity at Trump rally

Yeah… I wondered about that.

I don’t hear much about Boyd Rice these days, not that I’ve gone looking. I wonder if recent persons and events have made him a bit redundant. Kind of like Marilyn Manson going door-to-door trying to convince people that he’s still shocking. http://www.theonion.com/article/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-sh-459

3 Likes

“them democratic schools” heh. i remember kids my age swearing at recess. this was 30 years ago. LOL… kids pick that up everywhere. I just tell my son that those are usually adult words. that yes while kids use them, and you probably do too. just don’t do it in front of grown ups, your parents (me) or other family members. seeing as trump may not actually be a ‘grown up,’ seems legit.

5 Likes

I guess if you stare long enough into the Stupid, the Stupid stares back.

11 Likes

And, this is the most #headbashable thing for me. Let’s look at what conservative politics have wrought: the neo-fascist-idiot/Party of White-white Hot Burning Rage where science and tolerance are the enemy. I wonder how this latest iteration will work out for them/us.

Hear Hear! A tiny bit like enjoying Q’s terror at his human body falling asleep. But even Q is remotely likeable.

If the RNC was anything to go by, giving them such things may not necessarily improve their stature:

5 Likes

I too enjoy drinking wine with my cat

4 Likes

But I bet your parents didn’t actively encourage it, though.

12 Likes

Can we also not have the curse end this time when the subject experiences a moment of true happiness?

3 Likes

ahhh…yeah. Here are some kids being encouraged to act that way by adults.

1 Like

I’d absolutely love an autotuned breakcore track of the mother’s comments building up the electoral tension and then the kid’s “take that bitch down!” event is the bass dropping trump thump. Could easily go viral. effecting disenfranchised non voters like myself. If only the audio video for the event was intact.

You can tell this is the internet because half of the comments are arguing over the meaning of “profanity”

13 Likes

Sure, if you subscribe to the idea that language is inflexible and the meaning of all words is irrevocably fixed at the time they are first uttered…

Pretty much any modern dictionary disagrees with you, however.

Also:

the best somebody can come up with is that she is a bitch, a scary female who is like a dog, that comes off as lazy and vaguely misogynistic.

Gendered slurs aren’t “vaguely” misogynistic. They’re just regular-misogynistic.

14 Likes

What I meant is that reading “bitch” as an insult involves the implicit value judgement that there is somehow something wrong with being a female dog. Despite that having apparently been the speaker’s intended meaning, no doubt many do not share this view. I am guessing that many here love some female dogs and don’t find the actual equivocation insulting.

What is vague is the presumption of sharing the values, such as they seem to be, of the speaker. For an insult to be “effective” requires a shared frame of reference. Such as me believing that there is something wrong with being a woman, or that humans are better than dogs. The name-calling does not say anything specific about the subject, but rather serves to dump the purse of semantic baggage into the lap of the listener/reader in hopes of eliciting a reaction.

2 Likes

Or just a basic understanding of the modern English language.

The only way not to read “bitch” as a misogynist insult in this context is if you’re trying really, really hard to imagine someone is using the word in a way they clearly aren’t.

10 Likes

For example, if I am proud to be a bitch, or compared to a bitch myself, then when somebody calls me a bitch with the intention of insulting me, the word does not have the same symbolic value for the speaker and the listener. What you might consider wrong with “bitchiness” is not itself an artefact of the English language, but rather represents a cultural context which may or not be shared between any given people.

You admit that words do not have a permanent fixed meaning which exists devoid of context. But you suggest that there is one real intent which can be gleaned and the listener either “gets it” or does not. My understanding of language usage is that each person brings their own context, but we need to unpack so that between us we can understand what those contexts may be.

If I am proud of my “bitch” qualities, then such an insult directed towerds me would not “land” properly, because the presumed context is not shared. All I would know is that the speaker has “issues”.

Anyway, explaining my “vaguely” qualification has gone on long enough - I don’t intend to bore people with taking it further.

3 Likes

OK, tell you what. Since all language requires shared context, why don’t you just assume that the meaning I ascribe to words is different than the meaning you do and I’ve actually been agreeing with you all this time.

Sheesh.

9 Likes

His wrong…what? I see a possessive pronoun and an adjective, but no verb, no noun. It seems your post is incomplete.

2 Likes

Thank you. That gave me a moment of internet terror (in case I’d missed the definite article out), followed by a jolly good chortle that I really needed this morning.

1 Like

I accidentally the whole Coke bottle!

[admittedly I have also my problems with your/you’re* - I know the difference, but my sprachgefühl** for English is off as I didn’t learn the language naturally from birth on]

*) not my only limitation…
**) this is actually a loanword? weird

2 Likes

Ah, but in an argument about the finer points of grammar, it is an unforced error. To let such a simple point slide, even if it is autocorrect, suggests a certain lack of knowledge. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Only in America can people get upset about 10-year-olds using the same language adults do.

Even assuming that most boingboingers disapprove of gendered insults, I can’t imagine that any of you could still get upset about a random Trump supporter calling Clinton a “bitch”.