Your pants are lying to you

Key question - are the manufacturers saying “to fit a 34” waist" or “the waist on these pants is 34”?

I guess the US does not have a Trades Descriptions Act ?

4 Likes

I became aware of this trend 20ish years ago when getting fitted for a suit and the real measurements differed from the off the rack ones. I also noticed while traveling there sometimes seemed to be regional differences in size labeling–but maybe that was down to the brands available in the area?

2 Likes

It’s more likely due to the fact that sizing norms differ between different populations. A “medium” in the Netherlands is not going to be a “medium” in Vietnam, for example. What would be full-length trousers in Vietnam would be capris or even long shorts in the Netherlands. And a “medium” in the U.S. is likely to be an “XL” in China.

9 Likes

I’m a 28" waist in some of the jeans I bought in the US, and a much more reasonable 32/33" in all of my UK jeans.

Flattering, but laughable.

6 Likes

As a gentleman of a certain age, I am glad for this trend especially in pants that aren’t necessarily meant to look painted on. My body shape changes over the course of a day so appreciate garments that can adapt to those fluctuations.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I’m fit (aha, ha-ha) to answer that question authoritatively… but if we take an n=1 sample of the Levi’s 505s I mentioned above, it looks like they dodge it by calling the numbers an unitless “size.” The have a “sizing guide” linked on the page that says what physical characteristics of the customer each size is intended to fit.

So a “size 34 waist” by their chart is meant to fit an actual waist measurement of 34.5-35"…which means this is vanity sizing!

1 Like

Oh definitely internationally, but I noticed a similar trend within the US. Shirts I got in the midwest were roomier than ones I got in California that were labeled as the same size.

3 Likes

I’m confused by shoe sizing. Whenever I go into a shoe store and ask for a pair of Whatevers in my size, they’ll tell me “Whatevers usually run big, so I’ve brought you the next two sizes down.” Lo and behold they’re correct, and my closet has, like, four different sizes in it.

How can a label just have it’s own sizing and “run big” or “run small?”

3 Likes

National / International Standards and Trades Descriptions would help. It could be regulated, but that would be anti-free-market red tape, too burdensome for the bottom line.

(Yes, that was deliberate.)

2 Likes

Phew! Thank goodness my waist is just small enough that I’m not likely to ever die.

1 Like

… it’s labeled 2010 but I’m reading it in 2023

WHY CAN’T THEY LABEL PANTS AND TIME RIGHT

5 Likes

Vanity; thy name is man.

10 Likes

So let’s use an even less accurate and specific metric than BMI to manage the health and fitness of individuals? What could go wrong?

(Reference also from 2010, natch)

12 Likes

Mad Max Reaction GIF

4 Likes

It’s devious plot to save brick and mortar retail stores from online competition

2 Likes

Measuring tapes were a devious invention by male tailors who were intent on competing with women dressmakerrs.

3 Likes

How would you feel if you found that your pants had been lying to you and they really do make your ass look big?

2 Likes

Surprisingly good.

5 Likes

Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

3 Likes

Lying pants. As in “intentional”… or low-bid manufacturing source?

Having purchased many pants over the years from Adidas, Nikes, Land’s End, etc., I can say that within one batch of the same exact pant (but of a different color) for all those brands, the waist sizes (and lengths) do not always match. I’ve even ordered the same two pants with the same color (I’m a denim fiend) and still ended up with a mismatch on the measurements. Fits great with one; what’s up with the other. Bad enough that I’ve returned such pants.

3 Likes