Youth basketball team finally booted for racist jerseys printed with "Knee Grow" and "Coon"

This was their FOURTH game, people. They played three games with this racist shit on their backs. wtf?

15 Likes

JFC… I’m embarrassed to have lived anywhere near that area. What year is this?

1 Like

We sincerely apologize to anyone that was offended . . .

A standard, boilerplate notpology.

7 Likes

Where the fuck are that kid’s parents? Did they really sign a model release for that?

2 Likes

“We sincerely apologize to anyone that was offended by the jerseys. We offered to cover them up or change, however the league saw fit to remove us and we have accepted that decision.”

Well, that was mighty white of them!

13 Likes

No, I don’t think offensive speech is a crime. Ruining their season is probably enough to teach a lesson. Nice too if the coach gets fired.

3 Likes

Unless they ban that coach for a good long while, this is just wallpapering the crumbing wall.
What is wrong with that person that he (I presume he) thought this was even vaguely acceptable.

And five to one that “apology” was produced by an attorney.

One must also ask just how did this team name even make the first roster? Is there no approval or vetting process since kids on their own will lean towards disgusting/sexual innuendo any way.

5 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

3 Likes

Another little gem …

5 Likes

I’m assuming that with that particular name that there are lists involved.

2 Likes

I do not in any way believe they had any intention other than to incite. They did not go there to play basketball. They went to embolden people who feel repressed because they are white. The innocent plea to just play basketball and apologize if some were offended by their little expression of freedom of speech is a lie.

7 Likes

I had to google “knee grow.” Ohhhhhhhh.

“We sincerely apologize to anyone that was offended…” is the gold standard for non-apology apologies. It effectively denies that any wrong-doing was perpetrated by anyone. It’s just people being “offended” (and we all know how people are just looking to be offended over nothing these days, amirite?). It’s the thing you say when you know you’re supposed to say something, but don’t necessarily even know why.

I had some difficulty mentally processing this story because I couldn’t get my head around the fact that so many adults had to have been complicit/active in making this happen. That just… I can’t even.

1918 - give or take a century.

FTFY.

4 Likes

Stay gold, pony-boy.

1 Like

Three weeks, huh?

“did not realise there could be a possible link”

2 Likes

This type of vileness had gotten buried deeper with more nuance over the past few decades. Gee, why is it festering right out there with overt malice these days? I wonder what has changed…

4 Likes

Nah. They knew. They know. They don’t care.

1 Like

I can’t see any scenario where the coach shouldn’t be fired. Unfortunately, due to their having played several games already it seems as though that is unlikely.

edit: it does seem as though a school board member has resigned due to their having a child on the team.

1 Like

Jail might be a stretch, but Corruption of a Minor can be for things as benign as “Encouraging Truancy” in some states, so can I get a misdemeanor?

3 Likes