Youtuber Logan Paul is really sorry for showing body in Japan's "suicide forest"

I have to admit I didn’t watch it either. I read report and descriptions.

In this case I can try to define what I mean by entertainment in this context : I think Logan Paul borrow the codes (music, editing, narration) of the movie and video industry and use them to provide content, a show, and gain money by this mean.

He does not create neutral content (nobody does by the way) he exploit a dead body. He exploit the body of someone who hide to die. This is sensationalism of the worst kind.

2 Likes

Thanks for the videos. That flobots album is one of my all-time favourites for lifting the mood without being shallow and escapist.

Now, I love the band even more.

1 Like

When my younger nephews wonder why their old fogey uncle isn’t up on the latest YouTube stars, this is yet another example as to why I don’t waste my time watching any of them.

Come to think of it, it appears that in order to become popular on youtube one needs to have the kind of mind which is linked to this kind of scandals: basically, the more of a prick you are, the more likely you are to be popular. Or at least, it appears to be so on the English speaking part of youtube.

I wonder:

• if that is true in general
  • if that is mainly on the English speaking world / USA or if we have the same in other languages / countries
  • and if this is true, what is the psychology behind this.

I had no idea this guy existed prior to yesterday.
While his decision was morally dubious (possibly going to odious) I don’t see the reason for the obviously scripted,virtue signaling outrage.
When we got 24 hour coverage of the child that drowned trying to get to the EU for refuge or dead children in warzones do you really think the networks keep showing the footage just because it’s so sad?
No it made the networks serious bank.

Yes it’s sad that someone can find humor in another’s pain. I haven’t watched it because I find it disgusting (personally) but the victims face was obscured so while he gets -1000 morality points there’s no real harm.
If you want something to be outraged about then get mad at a society that considers suicide a honorable tradition for failure (real or perceived) rather than a failure of society

3 Likes

Logan Paul is massively popular with “the kids”.

The outrage, which you dub ‘scripted’, is both from a hugely popular celebrity known for his wacky pranks doing something that crosses every line of decency and is being called out for it – much like PewDiePie using racial epithets. And it’s also due to a lot of longtime YouTubers calling out the service for continuing to support Logan Paul and allow him to post things like this while repeatedly censoring LGBT content.

2 Likes

I think that all “outrage” is misdirected, even when it has the justification of actual injustice. Because whether people are entitled to it or not, the practice is still reactionary, and doesn’t in itself do anything to help. As the old saying goes: “Don’t get mad - get even.” Or as I might try to spin it more constructively: “If what you witness happening is wrong - take steps to remedy it.”

There are numerous problems with that. Firstly, no culture is subject to the values of another. What is your high-ground for saying that they should change, when they can (and might) just as easily say the same about your culture? The notion that on culture can “civilize” another has long been the tool of getting popular support for acts of imperialism. Other cultures - not unlike individuals - aren’t failing simply upon the basis of not meeting your standards,

Then there is the notion that there is somehow something wrong with death and dying. That living longer for its own sake “just because” is somehow more virtuous. Isn’t it more often a matter of simple instinctually pre-programmed fear? Is being a slave to instinct really more virtuous than being responsible for how one lives and dies, leaving it to chance? A goal oriented person might simply decide that the purpose of their life is to accomplish X, which takes Y years, and after that time declare themselves to be finished. Their death might be an event of celebration and optimism, that proudly declares “mission accomplished!” Isn’t that agency? Yet “western liberalism”, which claims to be so individualist, is so arrogant as enshrine survival at any cost an unquestionable bedrock of discussion of ethics and rational self-interest, in complete denial of anybody’s choice. Not only is that despicably meddlesome by my standards, it also demonstrates a failure to live up to its own self-professed cultural values.

If people didn’t hold some aspects of life in sensational regard, then others like this Logan Paul character would have no way to exploit this with their media spectacles. It would be like trying to flash people on a nudist beach, and they would quickly give up instead of being “rewarded”. The best reaction, is generally no reaction.

I could go on at greater length, but I have said all I needed to about this. Goodbye everybody!

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this, I’ve never seen it.

I’ve dealt with depression for most of my life and find this sort of thing sadly fascinating. The gentleness and respect of this video was really…kind, and I really appreciate it when people care enough to approach the subject this way.

2 Likes

and famous for its natural beauty.

1 Like

I didn’t watch the video coz I don’t want to see a dead body, but I don’t see anything morally wrong with the principle. Our current society is peculiar about death and injury - a large proportion of our entertainment is comprised of simulated depictions of the most extreme violence, torture and murder but whenever someone actually dies we hasten to cover it up immediately as though it will intolerably traumatize anyone who sees it. Maybe we should be traumatized a bit.

I think that what some people interpret as pointless outrage is, for a lot of people, anger specifically targeted at both YouTube and Logan Paul to deny him a future platform for making money off of this sort of spectacle.

This is a man who made money from mocking a suicide victim, and them monetized his apology video to make more money.

4 Likes

I’m open to the idea that we shouldn’t assume that the taboos of another culture are the taboos of our culture.

there was a big uproar over this exhibiton

http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/la-japonaise-camille-monet-in-japanese-costume-33556

and supposedly the reaction in Japan could be described as “eh.”

but

2 Likes

This guy is a real peach, I tell ya.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.