Zooming way, way in on the tip of a ballpoint pen

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/zooming-way-way-in-on-the-tip.html

4 Likes

Cool, but I think I still prefer the original.

15 Likes

Is Vimeo ever a good experience these days? My connection is pretty decent - not Gigabit, but fast enough that no other video site buffers noticeably - but every single Vimeo video I try to watch stutters, and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about it. Do they need to upgrade their CDN plan or something?

4 Likes

I had to stop when it zoomed into the metal bit holding the ball. Why wouldn’t you zoom in on the ball?!?!?

pantpant*

Okay, I’m gonna try this again.

20 Likes

Shouldn’t it not be in color anymore at high magnification?

1 Like

It kind of reminds me of the opening scene in Fight Club.

2 Likes

Once you get small enough that photons wouldn’t actually bounce off the things you’re looking at, you kinda have to switch from an attempt at photorealism to something more abstract… and at that point, why not make it pretty?

9 Likes

Fun visualization, and nice to hear some of Shine On You Crazy Diamond!

6 Likes

They zoomed all the way in to the pixels!

7 Likes

Is that Vimeo or the BoingBoing page?

Whatever javascript is running with the ads lately uses a ton of resources. Enough that it slows down the entire browser in addition to the page it’s on. I finally gave up and turned Adblock back on. Page became snappy again, and the Vimeo video went from choppy and disjointed to smooth and normal.

6 Likes

Bookmarked for the next time I come across any recreational substances…

It basically just zooms in on a bunch of nonsense almost certainly based on a cursory google image search for “real smal htings jpeg pitures please”

And, yes, I also turned against it the moment it failed to zoom in on the actual ball of the pen

8 Likes

i would have been impressed if you just told me this wasn’t a photo:

4 Likes

Yeah, but given the imagery, should have used something from Dark Side.

1 Like

11 comments in as I write this and not a single Ant-Man reference yet.

5 Likes

No; the musical selection here is perfectly judged, and paced.

10 Likes

Is that Hank Pym in the lower left corner around 0:98 in?

6 Likes

Yes, but I hope a copyright claim doesn’t get it removed!

2 Likes

Yeah, I came here to point out that you just have to be careful not to disable your regulator and get stuck down there!

3 Likes