Zuckerberg: President Warren would "suck" for Facebook

This.
And if you don’t mind, I’m going to recycle this phrase. It’s brilliant. The verb is spot-on.

Yes.
And I will be among the first to recognize that Facebook is not 100% bad (heck, my mom loves it). After Cambridge Analytica (now retooled to this) though, I just can’t see how Fb is ever going to reset itself into anything reliably honest, accountable, transparent.

So far my engagement has been small donations to Elizabeth Warren and to the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I appreciate any recommendations for additional effective allies who can help us get real traction on these issues, so we’re not going to wake up in some real-life dystopian 1984 + Minority Report etc.

I am hereby unironically posting this social media link to her Twitter account, in addition to linking to her web site:

6 Likes

I agree. We need alternatives TO facebook, not a reformed facebook, I’d argue.

We’re part way there, I’m afraid… I’d say most certainly the EFF is a great place to start, as is pushing politicians to have a better policies on big tech.

But not all of this is reinventing the wheel, either. There are definite parallels with other events in the past, with regards to other kinds of monopolies. It’s not exactly the same (as history doesn’t really repeat), but looking at how muckrakers wrote about these issues which eventually led to meaningful reform does give us some ideas of how to move on greater, effective regulation.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: long. since. gone.

Deleted four years ago. It was a spy machine on my phone. I SMS’d a friend who I hadn’t talked with in a few years, and suddenly FB suggested we be frenz.

That was a bad day.

Fuck you, Zuck. Intrusive spyware, unrestrained, greedy and belligerently stupid.

I’m very happy now.

6 Likes

I think humanizing stuff is always really important. So I’ve always focused more on the substance and trying to deliver things, and a little bit less on the perception.

Sincerity is key. And once you learn to fake that, you’re set.

I’m kind of in that eternal ‘do I or don’t I’ setup with Facebook.

On one hand, I enjoy seeing what old friends and acquaintances are up to, and for the most part I’ve curated my social media to the point where it’s only people I give a shit about and aren’t just shitposting 24/7, which means I don’t really have the major toxicity stuff that most people associate with FB. I don’t have any good alternative to this, because it requires buy-in from all those people, and they’re clearly not moving off FB in droves anywhere else.

On the other hand, I would rather not be on FB in general because of how shitty the zucc and team are.

In your scenario, what do the advertisers who write those companies’ checks do about such a strike? What do their shareholders do about the company deciding to just stop doing business?

Best endorsement of Warren since Jonathan Van Ness.

1 Like

The Great Pumpkin knows sincerity – and Zucchini ain’t it.

3 Likes

Yet another reason to consider voting for her.

9 Likes

Just made up my mind. Thanks, Mark.

4 Likes

No you aren’t. According to the rest of the comment, you are in. Fully, actually.

3 Likes

I found this bust of Zuckerberg online, and then realized it was actually a bust of Caligula.

4 Likes

Don’t authoritarians always want only what is “good for the people?”

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess that’s probably fair. I just feel like I’d lose touch with a lot of people without it, and that’s sad. I just wish the dominant social media platform was run like Craigslist, where it was designed as a public service and not as a profit generating machine.

To the topic of conversation, I’m still voting for Warren or Sanders, and I sincerely hope whoever gets the presidential nomination puts some real fear into the big tech companies.

And what if people went outside, met other people, and realized they don’t need Facebook?

it’s rare you see anyone attracted to power or governance saying they only want what is good for themselves

reality is always a nice tell

warren for instance tries to convince by saying, here’s the logic connecting what i’m trying to do with why i’m trying to do it

zuck ( and trump ) offer no evidence. they try to convince by emotion, by trust, by fiat

trust me :wink: it’s a sign

4 Likes

Well, well, well…looks like it’s time to send Liz some more $$$

5 Likes

Oh, Zuck, you had me at “President Warren.” ::swoons::

4 Likes

Sounds like he cares a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI