Donald Trump fraudulently overvalued property in Scotland by up to £200m, just as he did in U.S

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/donald-trump-fraudulently-overvalued-property-in-scotland-by-up-to-200m-just-as-he-did-in-u-s.html

18 Likes

" 2500-home development at £83,164 when an appraisal it received placed it at less than half that. "

At that evaluation it’s still only 33.27 pounds per home.

5 Likes

BBC Sounds is currently running a series on the whole Trump scandal in Scotland where the country’s Executive ran roughshod over the local authority, residents and environmentalists to build a golf course in an area where it should never have been permitted.

Available here:

26 Likes

To make the other numbers work, and yes, this is a fault with the source, not bb, you have to read it to mean each house in the development was over valued to the tune of £84k, which comes out at a little north of £200m.

15 Likes

12 Likes

Capitalism is not moral, it’s about making a profit, and it’s about what you can get away with.

26 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

17 Likes

24 Likes

that makes it sound like what he’s doing is normal and expected. it’s really not. yes, there are other developers cheats doing this, but it’s not normal business practice

the reason we have laws and regulations is to try to account for some of the ills of capitalism. we aren’t ever going to be able to make capitalism ethical but we can mitigate some of its harms by holding everyone accountable. even ■■■■■

26 Likes

Here’s an idea: how about a TV show where Letitia James and E. Jean Carroll spin a big wheel to see who gets which Trump properties. they could call it Wheel of Consequences. I’d watch the shit out of that. so would you.

34 Likes

If you want to overvalue your property that’s fine by me, but I also want you to pay taxes on that valuation.

28 Likes

So what does this mean, exactly? The article is paywalled. Is he at risk of losing Turnberry, too? Could someone familiar with UK law clue is in to what the consequences might be (terrible, I hope!)?

9 Likes

Yes, true enough.

But then the GOP since Reagan has been all about deregulation and loosening the rules that keep the worst parts of capitalism in check. There’s a religious fervor to it, “true capitalism.”

Hard to believe OSHA and the EPA happened under Nixon now.

18 Likes

IMG_3018

18 Likes

The Scot courts won’t let him off the hook, either. I am so looking forward to them seizing and liquidating his properties there. Here hoping they end up being converted from golf courses into wildlife sanctuaries.

23 Likes

Lock 'em up

6 Likes

… or maybe loch 'em up? /silly

25 Likes

I don’t know… putting him at the bottom of Loch Morar has a certain appeal.

7 Likes

The fraud took place in the US; so it is NY law that applies here. I don’t see why they couldn’t force him to liquidate his hideous golf courses even if they are polluting this side of the Atlantic.

5 Likes

Darn, just missed “Bankrupt”.

5 Likes