Massachusetts Republican running on a platform to "exile all Jews"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/27/massachusetts-republican-running-on-a-platform-to-exile-all-jews.html

20 Likes

b4t d3m0Cr4Tz R t3h R34L aNtis3miT3z!!! /s

Frustrated Miss Piggy GIF

35 Likes

From the Raw Story report:

Per the report, Kauffman “had been running as a ticket with state committeeman candidate and Croke Park owner Daniel Kelly, but now hates him because he publicly supported Israel.”

It’s a difficult time to be a Nazi. Your allies will keep disappointing you.

12 Likes

Lots of people have cancer and don’t become Nazis.

36 Likes

I mean, if she really has stage 4 brain cancer, its unlikely she will survive the next 5 years.

11 Likes

Does it matter if she developed them yesterday or years ago? She’s running on them NOW… Can we, once and for all, stop making excuses for people who are actively promoting bigoted beliefs in our society. NOT ALL IDEAS ARE THE SAME AND NOT ALL IDEAS SHOULD BE PART OF THE PUBLIC DISCOURSE…

Exactly. Sometimes the reason is just that the person is an asshole. We need to forcefully reject bigoted views, because it has consequences for all of us. Being ill is no excuse for this kind of shit.

38 Likes

wait, what?!?

7 Likes

Fortunately this position means nearly nothing in Massachusetts and is just internal party governance, if anything she’ll continue to harm the already weak GOP support in the state with her insane nonsense.

9 Likes

As far as the election goes, no, it obviously doesn’t matter when or why she developed the beliefs. She needs to be defeated, clearly.

10 Likes

Will “Stage-4 Brain Cancer” be on the ballot or must voters write it in?

11 Likes

It matters. The shift to fascism is intensifying in the GOP, and given that we have a two party system, it matters, where ever this crops up… YES, even in relatively solidly BLUE STATES like MA… Let’s not forget that this is also “progressive” Boston not too long ago:

And of course, nazis have made appearances in Boston in recent years…

Don’t be complacent. This shit needs to be confronted head on where ever we find it, even in places we believe “it can’t happen here”, because it bloody well can.

32 Likes

Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

14 Likes

in many ways, i think that’s worse.

as @otherbrother says sometimes brain tumors can cause extreme personality changes and bizarre behavior ( with weight on sometimes )

however, it can’t explain the party’s behavior. they have no obligation to keep her as a member, nor to let her run for this position. their behavior amplifies hers. she might have an “excuse”, they have none

19 Likes

“Don’t forget I’ll likely get voted into office on March 5,” Lori Kauffman posted to her X account over the weekend.

“Likely.”

Don’t know if this is coping or trying to fool people into thinking she’s dominant – but it’s really clear she knows she’s going to get destroyed in the polls.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, running for an internal post in the state Republican party, it is not a given that she will get shellacked. The party has gone far enough openly fascist that this may not cost her any votes, because they think she is right.

26 Likes

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

They are regularly and openly using fascist language. Believe people when they show you who they are.

28 Likes

Don’t give Boston more credit than it’s due… this is still today’s Boston to a degree and people regularly complain about desegregation (“bussing”) in the public school system and will take every opportunity to blame minorities and immigrants for the system’s woes. The bar for “progressive” states is sadly still very low.

In this specific case, only registered Republicans have the opportunity to vote for her… and she joins the ranks of a number of local nutjobs who will perennially run for whatever down-ballot position they can find. They very desperately want any scrap of legitimacy this sort of media attention can provide. This is more mental illness than organized fascism.

I don’t think the party can outright say no in this case, this is the sort of thing where any registered Republican who can get 50 signatures can run.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my point. That was literally what I said… Did you not READ my post? :woman_shrugging:

It doesn’t matter. It’s STILL a problem with the GOP and our political system in general. It does not matter how solidly blue YOU believe MA to be, because as I noted in discussing the racism embedded in the history fo the state (and YES, Boston itself!), shit can turn fast.

14 Likes

FWIW they condemned her position with a unanimous resolution and urged her to withdraw her candidacy back in December. I’m guessing they don’t have the authority to outright kick her off the ballot.

10 Likes

Or they don’t really mean it. With the party at large circling the wagons around an actual fascist, we have to take that into consideration here and assume that they’re hedging their bets by putting out a public statement, but not doing anything about her.

13 Likes