Ted Cruz: The Gays are waging 'jihad' against 'religious freedom'

You mean fast forward until he gets the Fox News gig he’s really running for?

I mean, the guy isn’t a complete idiot. He must understand the demographic he’s running for gets less likely to win a general election every year.

5 Likes

Cruz et al are being allowed to abscond with the language. A better starting point for dissent is “the ultra-right is waging jihad against freedom.”

1 Like

I wish religious groups with progressive views had more public visibility.

3 Likes

Phrases Ted likes to use that he doesn’t know the actual meaning of:
JIHAD
NAZI
HISPANIC
COMPROMISE
AD HOMINEM

3 Likes

Well, if you listen to what he says, although he talks about religious freedom as being about the right of the individual to live their life according to their faith, he’s also talking about the right [of Christian fundamentalists] to define marriage for everyone. But if you listen to Christian Fundamentalists talk about [their modern, religious notion of] marriage, they talk about it being “the way things have always been across all cultures throughout time.” They see their idea of marriage as being universal, not religious, so it’s different to them from, say, the imposition of a Muslim religious notion on the culture (which is religious and terrible and must be stopped at all costs). The other, implicit, part of the right of the individual’s religious freedom is the right to shun and abuse gays (and whoever else offends their religious sensibilities). They very well could be fine with the religious “freedom” to shun and abuse being available to all - knowing that Christians are the vast majority of the country means that they’ll be safe from experiencing that in any meaningful way. So they don’t see those positions as containing cognitive dissonance.
Although there’s plenty of cognitive dissonance to be found - just look at attempts, for example, to allow state funding of religious schools. That was sailing through in Louisiana until Christians realized, with horror, that the rules would also allow Muslims to get state funding for their schools…

12 Likes

“Net neutrality is obamacare for the internet” … yep, that checks out!

5 Likes

Well, obviously. Although ironically “jihad” just means “struggle,” something that the Right always refuse to acknowledge when it is being used that way.
Fundies also seem to really like to project what they’re doing onto their opponents for some reason. “Creationism is science, evolution is the real religion!” “We’re not waging a holy war against gays, they’re waging one against us!”

6 Likes

Why would I put myself through that?
:smiley:

8 Likes

I like it when they keep talking. The GOP clown car never disappoints.
These people aren’t 100 percent tone deaf - they are trying for one last grasp at the bigot vote.

The only two people who make any sense at all in DC - Sanders and Warren - need more exposure. Let’s talk about them rather than these stupid toads.

4 Likes

Ya, drag this out until Trump starts up. These two are comedy gold!

2 Likes

The one where people who read it ignore the parts about not getting tattoos, not eating shrimp, and only marrying virgins (and if you find out later that she isn’t a virgin, God ok’s her stoning.)

2 Likes

The problem with all these batshit-crazy-bigot politicians is that they make regular-crazy-bigot politicians look “mainstream.”

Candidate 1: We need to amend the Constitution to make gay people illegal, just as the Lord commanded us to do when he created the Earth 5000 years ago!

Voter: Eh, that sounds kind of extreme.

Candidate 2: We should let the states dictate whether gay people should be legal or not, just as the Founders intended when they wrote the Constitution to protect the rights of straight white male Christian land-owners 230 years ago.

Voter: Now there’s a sensible centrist policy I can get behind!

19 Likes

I look forward to his tirades against ad hominem compromising with the Nazi-Hispanic Jihad.

I see what you’re saying and don’t disagree.
One problem we have is a lag in the “media” where they give crazy people a platform.
They do it for drama and ratings, I get it. But can we please stop giving people time that are effectively the same as someone that thinks the earth is flat or the moon is made of cheese?
We don’t marginalize them fast enough.

2 Likes

Cruz “Canadian TeaBagger” wears his willful hate of the Human Race, ignorance and anti-intellectualism, illiteracy as a badge of honor.

3 Likes

Wait a minute… so being gay isn’t just a “choice” any more, it’s a religion too?
That’s awesome - now gay people really can use the law - the same “religious freedom” laws these bigoted morons are pushing all across the country - to force conservatives to support them!

13 Likes

Don’t forget Leviticus 19:27:

“Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.”

or my personal “favorite”, Leviticus 20:9:

“For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.”

If we followed THAT one, what percentage of people would survive their teenage years?

5 Likes

A: “Well I’ll be a son of a b—”

B: “STONE THE INFIDEL!”

8 Likes

Even better: ask Cruz how his attempt to impose his religious views on others is different from the use of sharia law in the Middle East. Isn’t it just “Christian sharia” instead of “Islamic sharia”?

4 Likes

Maybe some people have fear to be catering in Satanic parties.

Will you force persons to catering in Satanic parties?