$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia

The ludicrous overabundance of winking super model bikini girls in the video and all of the promotional material makes me appreciate this whole story even more. You have to be a real special kind of bastard to see this video and think “yeah, that looks normal and not ridiculous at all, that is what I deserve to do over the next holidays.”

17 Likes

I hope at least some people got the hot girl-on-girl action promised in the video.

2 Likes

5 Likes

This is a bit silly. It’s not like the embassy is going to send a rescue team to a beach on f’cking Exuma. There is a Sandals resort a 10 minute walk away for goodness sake.

NYT said the tickets were priced $1,000 to $12,000. Gizmodo reported they started at $1,200. A couple other news articles said the top level tickets were VIP packages.

I think blogs like BB just decided to sensationalize it by quoting the highest priced package.

I look forward to the articles about the $10,000-a-ticket Coachella festival (or whatever some of those ridiculous packages you can get for luxury yurts or tents or whatever are).

11 Likes

No kidding. The problem with that is that most marketing-speak relies upon evocative-sounding yet completely vague phraseology to offer “experiences”. Anybody who takes a few minutes of time and effort to deconstruct ads can discern that many of them are based upon nonsensical promises of “memories”, “fulfilment”, “the ultimate”, “number one”, etc. Unfortunately, luxury and gourmet are equally nebulous, unaccountable qualities. This is what happens when the whole consumer culture is based upon hype rather than discernment.

For better or worse, if anyone on the mainland sold “gourmet meals” which were these crappy sandwiches and salads, I think there would be no legal recourse. All “gourmet” really means is that the cook thought that the food was worth eating. Same goes for accommodations in “luxury” tents. People routinely criticise me for not inferring the same connotations from commonly used words, but it is also how one can avoid being suckered by their own expectations. All that “luxury” literally means is that it is bathed in light, so some critical pause and consideration could remind one that that isn’t necessarily very meaningful thing to promise anybody.

How about their ambient music playlist? Do I have a basis to sue if I buy a CD or attend a concert and disagree as to whether or not the music was truly ambient?

My guess is that this is mostly a matter of class outrage. Because the victims are wealthy people, and they were scared by being isolated in Bahamas. I would be interested to hear about what the locals thought of the conditions there - I doubt if they judged them harshly. If wealthy US travelers more regularly had to live like the locals of wherever they visited, I think the experience would eventually change their attitudes for the better.

My name is spelled Raymond Luxury Yurt, but it is pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove!

10 Likes

Now if you tell me that tickets come with EULA that included agreeing to binding arbitration my bliss will be complete.

17 Likes

BIG LUNCH YESTERDAY, I TAKE IT!!

Sorry.

1 Like

8 Likes

I have been around young men who paid for top-dollar tickets to the Firefly Music Festival in Dover Delaware. Picture the worst stereotypes of “Jersey Guy” crossed with “Frat Guy” with a soupçon of “Richie Rich”.

5 Likes

Oh, you and your silly “laws” and “context.” The point was for Popo to declare to us all how romantic it was for them to live on the streets. After all, only spoiled First Worlders desire easy access to food, shelter, sanitation, and safety from bandits.

However you look at it, is was “fool-and-his-money” pricing for a fraudulent product. From the WaPo article:

Finley and his friends paid about $4,000 each for VIP access and “luxury lodge” accommodations at the festival.

[…]

Festival-goers paid anywhere from $450 for a no-frills day pass to up to $250,000 for the full VIP experience. One widely-advertised festival package cost $12,000. There were even packages that included a private yacht.

The “luxury lodges,” by the way, were leftover USAID disaster relief tents. One is only left to wonder about the “no-frills” experience – perhaps the plan was for those attendees to be strapped to St Andrews crosses and bastinadoed by the VIP attendees.

6 Likes

Kirk: (… IDIOTS in that prop department! Can’t… cut… through… this… shit!)
Gorn: Gnnnnphhhh.

3 Likes

Did any of the musical acts show up?

3 Likes

+1 internets for you, summed up the whole thread in three sentences. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Then they left LaGuardia and flew to the Bahamas where it only got worse

55 Likes

The main difference between them and us is that we don’t have enough enough money to be targeted by these particular cons. I wouldn’t be as tempted to laugh if so many of the wealthy weren’t completely convinced that the reason that they have more money is that they are SO smart and hard working. And what’s more they say so repeatedly.

12 Likes

And most of us discovered this when we were children at the “Not a flying toy” stage.

9 Likes

I can’t say any more than what’s already been said.

At this level of exhibitionistic spending and entitled expectations, I have zero fucks to give for these people.

4 Likes

If you are, I am too, so we’ve got that, right? :wink:

No but really… That tweet where the guy is like, “Does anybody know how to make weapons?” LOLOL OH MY GOD!!! hahahaha

Yes, we’re probably bad people, btw. :wink:

2 Likes
10 Likes

I’m not sure, but that might be my arch-nemesis!

8 Likes