13-year-old explains why he thinks we are living in a parallel universe

I mean, the kid is thirteen. I think that’s a perfect age for someone to be into this kind of imaginative but not entirely sensible idea.

Now if he grows up and still genuinely believes the world is a simulation to escape from, or some nonsense like that, then there’s something to wonder about.

13 Likes

Well that in part explains that movie Yesterday.

Still waiting for an explanation on how it was night simultaneously in North America, England and Japan at the moment of the blackout.

1 Like

And deal with all that traffic? No thanks.

2 Likes

The other possibility is that he grows, and mantains this grest fantasy, and maybe will be hired in Cardiff by the public television to write decent plots for a show regarding a time traveller in a blue phone booth and his half-ball covered foes.

2 Likes

Am I the only person who can’t think of any particularly strong Mandela effect stuff? I never thought Nelson Mandela was dead before it happened, I never thought Berenstain was Berenstein. I’m sure my memory isn’t perfect, but I’m not going to base my entire idea of what reality is on the vague memory of there being a Where’s Waldo-themed cereal called Wald-O’s when it’s more plausible that I dreamed it than that I traveled here from a parallel universe where it made good marketing sense to make a cereal with ONE marshmallow in the entire box.

7 Likes

And trump had the charisma (at the time) to pull the wool over the eyes of most of the people who otherwise would not have voted for him.

There are a number of republicans that practically worship Reagan, and later Bush Sr., who arguably put us on the present path we are on now. Their impression was that the Republican Party could Do No Wrong, even after it turned into the Leopards eating my face party, because they cannot conceive of voting for anyone else, even if it’s been proven to their face that the people they voted for are the cause and source of their misery and suffering.

Personally? I don’t like either party as they are currently set up- the Republicans are the current literal nazi party, and the democrats are not only corrupt, but no longer represent the people. But this country is currently locked into this utterly broken and horrible two party system, and it’s going to take an immense, long term effort to break loose of it, and effort that I’m not sure the people are able to muster unless things get even worse than they are now.

I don’t blame the new generation for their viewpoint at all.

2 Likes

Well it didnt show all of Japan, only Tokyo, so perhaps it was winter which allowed for North America and Europe to be in darkness, while a solar eclipse was simultaneously happening in Tokyo, Japan.

Alas that cannot be though. In the clip the clock at Westminister shows 8:30-ish.

That must be 8:30pm since the latest sunrise in London is always before 8:30am. Which would mean that the baseball game must be being played at a stadium that is also dark at 8:30pm London time. The stadium is Citi Field in New York, which also means the event took place between April and October.

There is no scenario in which it can be dark at 8:30pm in London while also being Dark in New York during baseball season.

7 Likes

Yeah I really don’t understand the bear thing. Like when did bad spelling become an “effect.” I misspell things all the damned time. I’m sure I do so in pretty predicable ways that are probably similar to the ways other people misspell things. In this case it’s even more banal because the misspelling is a common way things that sound like that are spelled.

Still, my mind has literally never been blown by the revelation that I’ve spelled something wrong.

3 Likes

it depends on the kind of infinity. fractals are both infinite and structured. they don’t cover every possiblity

self GIF

4 Likes

The phrase “our universe” is completely nonsensical. You can’t address this kid’s questions because they aren’t the right ones to ask. There is no “our” universe.

The math in quantum mechanics pretty clearly points to the Many Universes theory, wherein every single quantum interaction (human decision, etc) forks the universe. There’s no “one” that is “correct”. Infinity is infinity and all possible universes exist simultaneously.

It’s unlikely we’ll be able the falsify the Many Universes theory with physical evidence, but the math works and there’s no reason to doubt it, particularly.

And of course there’s no “right”, “wrong”, or “correct” in cosmology. There is only what is.

I’m sorry this kid is in pain and he’s trying to find meaning with nonsense.

7 Likes

Here’s my fantasy.

I had the look at the white light heart attack in 2012 followed up with the stroke in 2016.

I’m still hoping I’ll come out of the coma and the last 6 years never happened.

Unfortunately I’m too old to believe in Santa Clause but I can still dream.

4 Likes

… I can’t even think of anything Goldwater had in common with Trump, other than maybe a conspiratorial attitude toward his enemies

Parallels between Trump and Nixon, or Trump and Reagan, are easier—Trump combined Nixon and Reagan’s worst qualities as individuals into one extra-horrible person

2 Likes

And then there are the levels I, II, and IV multiverses, which seem as equally inevitable as the III. I’ve never seen a cogent rebuttal to any of them. Someone should give this kid a Max Tegmark book, so he can indulge his interest without the perils of internet fame.

2 Likes

Could be. I think most stuff I’ve read on the history of movement conservativism starts with Orange County, and the eventually take over of the sunbelt… Goldwater certainly had a lot of strong support in southern CA…

My problem with statements like that, is the assumption that anyone could have seen that… but let’s not forget contingency when we’re thinking about how things change over time. Goldwater did lose his election in 64, and there was still pretty strong backing around the liberal consensus well into the 70s (even Nixon had some pretty liberal policies). There is a much stronger connection from Reagan, and then Gingrich, to Trump, though. But none of that was “inevitable” as much as what did happen… So, I don’t think anything is “inevitable” because that erases human agency from history. I always like to point out that what DID happen isn’t always what COULD have happened… if that makes sense.

I don’t know if it’s that, so much as the white supremacist really saw him speaking to them, and much of the GOP base was primed to embrace his message, because he was so adamant about the culture wars. I also think at this point, we should accept that he really believes the political positions he espouses (white Christian nationalism) and isn’t just there to pull in the donations from his supporters. Both can be true, I think.

Except for all the stuff they’ve actually done in a situation where they barely can get anything done. Do I think it’s enough? No, but it sure as shit isn’t a literal fascist party. Let’s cut the “both sides” crap and get more involved in the Democratic party if we want it to represent the people more. I really think that a big part of the problem is that so many of “the people” were so cynical, that they just decided to not do shit to be involved in politics, except for right wing extremists. The more we neglect democratic institutions, then the more they’ll be captured by corporations and corruption.

7 Likes

Does nobody do good, old-fashioned, imperialism anymore? It seems only obvious that if we have ended up in a parallel universe it’s ours now…Spacetime manifest destiny; take up the wormhole’s burden; etc.

That marked the start of the Southern Strategy; embracing bigotry to take advantage of the hack that one doesn’t need popular support if one simply weaponizes the electoral college.

7 Likes

When the kid is not alright.

4 Likes

Oh, I dunno about that: “All the Myriad Ways”. Granted, it’s only a story – in this universe.

On the other hand, accepting the multiverse concept (or the Many-Worlds Interpretation), are we ever in the same continuum from one instant to another? No single world/universe/dimension has a privileged position in the hierarchy.

The kid would still be off base, of course (especially as regards the LHC): all universes are “parallel”! But I say it’s great that he’s entertaining such speculation, and he should definitely not be committed for it.

1 Like
  1. Multiple useages
    ● BITING LIP :biting_lip: is a universally understood form of nonverbal communication
    that has many variations depending on who is involved. There are:
    ○ Expression of tension
    ○ Indication of arousal
    ○ Flirtation
    ○ Fear and anxiety
    ○ It can mean that the person is uncomfortable in the situation
    ○ A sign of being worried or insecure