20 or more shooting victims reported in San Bernardino, CA. Police seeking active shooter

Ask the NRA, they have an answer for everything.

13 Likes

Yeah, but their answer is always “have you purchased a gun today?” It’s not as helpful as knowing not to swim for an hour after eating.

12 Likes

Well, the wait is going to have to be less than 24 hours.
http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015
(Over 350 by the end of November)

7 Likes

Jesus America. You guys have issues.

18 Likes

Seem like guns PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES have been showing up on the news a lot. It seem like there is a gunman MADMAN working alone or together on the news weekly. It’s almost like this country has a gun MENTAL HEALTH control problem.

30 Likes

It’s less a reluctance to “name/shame” than a wariness of looking like a fool later, for example if it turns out to be gang-related, or simply a robbery gone wrong.

1 Like

This wasn’t a fucking bank or armored truck, and neither was last week’s big shooting, so no need to pretend that they’re likely just robberies gone wrong until tomorrow.

16 Likes
37 Likes

In the same way, no need to jump to conclusions. How much does it hurt to wait a bit for more data? It is not something of immediate importance for everyone minus couple dozen people.

2 Likes

But how is reporting what eye witnesses said jumping to conclusions?

13 Likes

Personally I am curious as to the root causes. The technology has been around since 1943 (STG 44). The AK as been around since 1949. The AR since 1958. The gun laws have only become more and more restrictive, with CA having some of the most restrictive in the nation (assault weapon ban, no large capacity magazines, registration of handguns, etc). Pre-1986, one could get a full auto for a few hundred dollars over the cost of a semi-auto (though you had to pass an ATF background check and pay a $200 tax).

So if the means has been there for a long time, the laws actually more restrictive, what is actually causing people to think killing a bunch of people is a good idea? History is fraught with examples, from the lone murderer, to systematic state sponsored genocide. And while both gun homicide and violent crime in general is down from the peak in the 90s, we do seem to have these events all to often now. WHY is that?

Though I also find it curious which events the media chooses to highlight. I heard barely a peep from anyone about this case of a person or persons shooting into a crowd. I guess no one died, so it didn’t make the news. Or maybe it fits the general public’s expectations and isn’t shocking enough.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-arrested-new-orleans-playground-shootout-wounded-17-n470926[quote=“Missy_Pants, post:30, topic:70123, full:true”]
But how is reporting what eye witnesses said jumping to conclusions?
[/quote]
To be fair, there have been many cases of early eye witness reports that don’t match at all with later evidence.

6 Likes

He got tired of trying to help humanity learn and left the planet

6 Likes

Armed white guys in Black SUVs? I’d guess there are a few of those around there.

1 Like

Yes, but I bet they are each acting alone…

8 Likes

According to the NRA, never.

4 Likes

That’s one way to not be in the tragic momemt

8 Likes

New Orleans playground shooting 3 days ago? Wow. Yep, never even heard about it until your mention of it.

5 Likes

22 Likes

Is there (usually) a difference?

4 Likes

I’m not sure the identities and motivations of this week’s celebrity killers matter in any case - they all look pretty similar to me.

Stay safe everyone. :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes