20 or more shooting victims reported in San Bernardino, CA. Police seeking active shooter

It’s always too soon, too impractical, too inconvenient, too late, too much.

Just give in.

Give up.

Buy a gun.

13 Likes

A century from what I can tell.

8 Likes

I may be missing something, but I don’t get this. I don’t mean a moral judgement dressed up as a lack of understanding. I mean I really don’t know why anyone would do that. Does anyone have any pieces of the puzzle that I am missing?

5 Likes

Not that difficult.

If you ignore all the news that aren’t about your nearest (say) 10,000 people, there’s next to nothing bad happening in the world.

It just looks bad because we get every minor incident served in real time, amplified and shown from multiple angles.

According to the statistics, we’re safe and getting safer.

Don’t worry about overblown medialized nonthreats. Taking care about the loose soap in the bath and the iced stairs will do more for your safety.

13 Likes

Fox News and white paranoia about losing privilege?

22 Likes

The same assholes who insisted that taking in Syrian refugees wasn’t worth the risk will fight any attempt at changing gun laws in response to this tragedy. And the next one. And the next one.

31 Likes

Nope.
I mean, you can take your pick of the usual suspects: religious fervour, workplace grudge, jilted lover, I would honestly be surprised if it wasn’t one or a combination of those three.

6 Likes

Which part are you not “getting” (since you weren’t replying to anyone in particular)?

That doesn’t seem to be the motive for anyone. And not everyone doing these things is white.

eta:

Yes, especially that last one, have been the cause of violence for millennia. Especially the murder suicide cases where someone takes out the kids, the other person, then themselves.

3 Likes

I read that the function hall had been rented for an event. Take that for what it is worth, another unverified wildcard, but I think it makes the setting less relevant when we’re grasping at straws.

2 Likes

Perhaps they confused the place with a Planned Parenthood office?

3 Likes

I just realized this chart only shows 4 or more victims, including the shooter… what would it look like with “only” 3 added to it? O_o

11 Likes

Yeah but this includes the shooter. Totally unfair! </ sarcasm >

Why would anyone apparently shoot up a center for people with developmental disabilities? That doesn’t seem like anything controversial or a target that will make you popular with anyone at all. Of course there is always the chance of someone with a personal grudge or someone who wants to go out in a blaze of notoriety, but then multiple shooters seem surprising.

Ok, that would open up all kinds of new possibilities…

Maybe they disagreed with the way their hard earned tax dollars are being spent? [/guess]

2 Likes

and also @shaddack

Yes, I agree that to be personally concerned for one’s safety as a consequence of these incidents is perhaps poor risk judgement. A colleague of mine who lives in Paris received an avalanche of “We’re so relieved you’re safe - we were really worried for you” messages. The worry was disproportionate to the miniscule risk that my colleague was actually present at any of those places during that tragic evening. It didn’t stop people fretting, though.

But we should arguably pay attention to, and address a lot of stuff in societal sense that may not directly affect us. Because it’s not us or people close to us being shot doesn’t mean it isn’t worth our attention in terms of informing policy. And we should also address the stuff that can really kill us such as diet and lifestyle.

10 Likes

Joseph Allen has been charger with 17 counts of attempted capital murder for the New Orleans shooting. 11 of the victims where children, including a 10 year old.

In a way, that makes it worse. People in a country with relatively little to fear, yet dressing in fatigues and attacking vulnerable people and those who support them. I agree with you in general though; if nothing of substance is going to be done and we can’t support the victims, we’re probably better off just ignoring these assholes and getting on with our lives.

3 Likes