20 or more shooting victims reported in San Bernardino, CA. Police seeking active shooter

Or we could make guns a lot harder to get because I DON’T WANT TO GET FUCKING SHOT.

Screw it.

You’re really up for another good fight whenever this happens, aren’t you? Does it make your heart beat faster? Do you rub your hands together and crack your knuckles for yet another round of bbs ammosexual gun play? Jesus fucking Christ on crutches.

22 Likes

But I mean come on have you really done research into how many people a year are killed by cauliflower?

5 Likes

Or we could start teaching people the art of rational risk evaluation. Because, seriously, what’s your probability of getting shot, compared to the baseline risks of icy stairs, car crashes, medical errors, and heart strokes?

2 Likes

I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to make here.

The vast majority of ladder owners and users don’t hurt themselves or anyone else, but that hasn’t prevented the development of useful and worthwhile legislation to make ladders safer. Same thing with swimming pools - the percentage of swimming pools where nobody has drowned is staggeringly high … but we still have worthwhile and effective legislation around fences and gates and whatnot.

Do people still drown? Do people still fall off high things? Of course they do, but that would be an absurd reason to remove the legislation.

I don’t think you quite get the satire here. Hint: The Onion isn’t really ‘America’s finest news source.’

13 Likes

Given the trajectory of psychiatric diagnostic codes these days, I have a feeling they’re working on it. Coming in 2026, to a diagnostic manual near you: ‘Transient Amygdalan Hyperactivity, Recurrent’.

1 Like

If you care about privacy and so forth, you know the side cry in all of this is inevitably, “Why didn’t we know? He was a apparently depressed or reading weird shit on websites or playing video games, so why wasn’t the American Stasi following his every move? Why wasn’t he locked away permanently for being Rather Angry?”

2 Likes

29 Likes

Nope. Though I really should look into the numbers of those who fall into swimming pools (Why don’t we outlaw pools, huh?), get in car accidents (why don’t we outlaw cars, huh?!), or get eaten by sharks or fall off skateboards or sailboats or slippery stairs or slippery slopes or whatever. Cuz you know, mass murder is just like those things.

ETA: I see @shaddack is already ON IT.

Because, seriously, what’s your probability of getting shot, compared to the baseline risks of icy stairs, car crashes, medical errors, and heart strokes?

:grinning::grin::laughing::joy::confused::sleepy::cry:

9 Likes

Yep. People will use this sort of fear to justify more surveillance and spying. Same with demonizing of Muslims in general for things like the Paris attacks.

1 Like

How am I any different than you, millie? You have your causes you are passionate about and are sure to show up to defend.

Exactly! And just like cauliflower, those things have no other use beyond killing things! I murder people with my front stoop all the time!

EDIT: ABC News is reporting that they have stopped a black SUV and there is a suspect down.

5 Likes

There’s a constitutional thing I’ve been wondering about, and this may or may not be the time to ask about it. In Article 1, which is about what Congress is and what it does, Section 8 includes these powers of Congress:

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Until I actually read the Constitution, I had always thought that the reason there’s (supposedly) a personal right to bear arms was that the idea of what constitutes a militia was not spelled out elsewhere in the Constitution.

I am genuinely interested in your comments, @Mister44 and others here.

Almost forgot: I really enjoy the irony that one of the roles of a militia is to suppress insurrections – when organizing insurrection is what some of the most ardent supporters of the Second Amendment say they need to be free to do.

13 Likes

Depends. Is there a safe room where I work?

1 Like

Pretty much. I am just numb to the whole thing now.

You know that folks around the world are seeing this stuff on the news and Demonizing Americans In General.

2 Likes

Oh I don’t know, something about this thing called “timing,” I think…

7 Likes

and you have your justifications for behaving offensively when other people are violent.

5 Likes

Damn right.

1 Like

INCOMING!!!

2 Likes

1 Like