2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

I had to maginify that list of his notes, and wow, I am just trying to imagine Trump having those points on his notes: Department of Justice, the people’s lawyer not the President’s lawer, tell the truth, listen to scientists, take responsibility…

… Still trying…

… nope, can’t manage it.

4 Likes

Generally these analyses miss that while dem voters approve of M4A in general, they still prefer the public option when offered the choice between the two. Similarly for Marijuana legalisation vs decriminalisation.

So tweets like that are kinda deceptive. The DNC votes are on replacing the existing bit of the platform with a different one, not on overall support for whatever.

2 Likes

It’s the least inspiring choice, so naturally it’s #1 for Biden.

I just wish this old post of mine wasn’t sounding quite so familiar right now:

relevant snippet:

All that needs to happen now is for the Democrats to oblige him by nominating another “safe” centrist neoliberal who will has pre-emptively given up on giving people anything to hope for.- who won’t inspire legions of activists , who won’t give non-voters the belief that change is possible, and who won’t offer anything other than “not being Trump”. If they really want to help him, they’ll finish it off by adopting a veneer of performative wokeness, that will enable the tiny fingered orange to play the entire campaign on his own turf of embittered exclusionary white identity.

12 Likes

Seems like jumping the gun to say this implies Biden is picking Harris. The points relate to neutralising Dodd’s comments which appear to rule Harris out.

2 Likes

I wonder if Biden is thinking of Harris as a possible AG pick? The points about her are before the notes about the DOJ.

10 Likes

I hope that’s the case. Tapping her as AG instead of VP would be a better position for her and a better choice for the campaign. We’ll find out in the next week or so.

12 Likes

I agree. She was way too chummy with cops when she was a prosecutor, which is par for the course with all prosecutors (let’s hope this changes). However, given what we have now, she would be far better. (Sigh)

7 Likes
11 Likes

I’m hoping special prosecutor to investigate his predecessor.

7 Likes

If it’s not veep I’d guess Supreme Court. I think he’s stated that he would like to appoint a black woman. And as a former AG, she has the cred. As a Senator- she’s part of the club and would get more deference.

7 Likes
11 Likes

to me the idea of appointing a supreme court judge who isn’t a judge seems super weird. Is that something that happens in the US?

(This isn’t criticism of the idea, just surprise. I know there are no rules in the US and that if RGB dies before January the senate will rush through Eric Trump’s confirmation within hours.)

5 Likes

This may very well explain his tweet this morning. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

It does. Some of the most famous and well-regarded Justices in the modern age never even graduated from law school.

6 Likes

Yes. He knows most of us are cats, and that he’s holding a laser pointer.

11 Likes

17 Likes

hurrah, another obama legacy overturned

7 Likes

Yikes

16 Likes

I watched the video (just to make sure this wasn’t some kind of scientological distortion), and holy xenu, that’s bad. I can see praising the building of a new church because of what it brings to a neighborhood, but she goes out of the way to praise L. Ron Hubbard. This is as bad as that other candidate who likes Ayn Rand.

A pity; I was kind of leaning towards her as the VP choice (since her clear disinterest in running in 2024 and Biden’s age would open a road to someone completely new in 4 years). Now I’m back to rooting for Tammy.

6 Likes

alton-brown-cringe

9 Likes