2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

The Daily Heil, so grain of salt and all that…

7 Likes

I’ll just leave this here while Kim Jong Un tours the Russian Far East.

6 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

Apple Notifications

6 Likes

Letting them know that Lockdown-mode might be worthwhile?

4 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

While I agree with Snyder, I believe that the war will more likely end with each side’s territory back where it was status quo ante. It’s unjust and legitimises the illegal 2014 takeover but short of Ukraine taking territory inside Russia itself I don’t see Putin or any other Russian autocrat giving it up.

1 Like

Which status quo ante? The 2014-2022 front line doesn’t have any particular significance for Russia because the official borders of the DPR and LPR have always been the whole of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts respectively.

3 Likes

That one, unfortunately. Russia will basically trade their BS puppet “republics” for keeping Crimea. In my view, Ukraine should get Crimea back as reparations if nothing else, but unless the government of Russia takes a massive turn toward basic decency I don’t see it happening.

Whatever the settlement, Russia should be forced to renounce any claims, direct or otherwise, current or future, that Donetsk and Luhansk are not the sovereign territory of Ukraine.

4 Likes

Just to be clear, the 2014-2022 status quo ante means Russia controlling Crimea, part of Donetsk oblast and part of Luhansk oblast.

2 Likes

Yes, Crimea will likely be given its own status apart from the oblasts in any settlement. Giving back the portions of the oblasts controlled by Russia before 2022 might be possible but I’m not optimistic. I don’t like it but that’s what I’m expecting.

Any calls for Ukraine to give up any territory it held between the takeover of Crimea and the start of the invasion should be completely rejected. The Useful Idiots and appeasers are going to keep pushing that line in the name of “peace” so we have to keep pushing back.

1 Like

As a complete ignorant it seems to me that Ukraine’s recent moves to show the vulnerability of Crimea as a Russian fiefdom is squarely aimed at peace talks. I know, what do I know? Nothing. But I am not unfamiliar with peace talks and I’d think that if they have to cede territory Crimea is not preferred.

Or 5D chess. What do I know?

7 Likes

Ukraine’s demonstrations that a peninsula connected to Russia by a thin strip of land and a bridge is not the most strategically secure of territories might be taken to heart by reasonable and competent political leaders. That last does not describe the gangsters and their henchmen in the Kremlin, with their grandiose fantasies of the Russkii Mir.

6 Likes
9 Likes

… TIL from a minefield warning sign on TV that the word for STOP in Russian and Ukrainian is СТОП

8 Likes
8 Likes