6 survival knives to give you the edge on any outdoor trip

Opinel exemplifies “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

I’m sorry, I can remember them bringing in the law, but I cannot remember why. Probably it was a result of a random knife attack.

But I wonder where the overlap is, especially with regards to the motivation. As someone who owns more knifes than they use, I thought about the why.

First: Putting knives and sword in the same category muddles the water. Swords are a specific type of knife (so so speak), a subset designed for combat, emphasizing the weapons aspect.

But yeah, almost every type of knife can be used as a weapon, so why so many?

For one: Different use cases need different uses. While I still own too many kitchen knives because I’m still searching for the best one (for me), I think those can be discounted. Especially when their owners don’t fetishize them, but then into dishwasher even, and keep them sharp enough to actually cook with them, but don’t need them for surgery.

This leaves basically all the EDC knives of various types. With 3 and 1 holder for disposable blades and another small EDC on the way, I can’t claim that they are all needed for specific task. Too much of an overlap, especially for the two small ones. One I bought as a replacement for one I thought lost, but still: Too many for that excuse.

However, the same hold true for fountain pens. I own about 8 or 9, I guess, partly justified by keeping them at different desks, but still far too many to claim that they all fulfill a specific task. Even when I look at different nibs and inks.

So I guess the overlap here is interest in craftsmanship/aesthetics. Guns, knives, fountain pens, books – I’m sure you know people who have multiple editions of the same book, even though the content’s all the same – and even building tools like hammers or pliers will trigger it.

1 Like

The only reason that Rod Walker took two knives on his survival test was because his sister basically pressed her good knife on him.

It did turn out to be useful, since he lost his own knife, likely stolen with his other equipment. Since he had the extra knife, under a bandage, it wasn’t taken, and he had a knife to survive with.

For most of us, we will have other equipment if we go into the wilderness, so a backup knife is less necessary.

1 Like

Beware the stobor.

1 Like

You don’t need more than two when you are the Mary Sue in a Heinlein novel.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.