900 dog poop bags for $15

I’m guessing you’re not a pet owner. My dog pees when and where he wants on a walk and I’d have to traumatically jerk him away in the middle of his impromptu urination to prevent such an act. The only dogs I’ve seen that hold it until they’re told when outside are trained service dogs.

If you don’t want dogs on your property, much less urinating on it, put up a fence. I don’t like the number of pet owners in my neighborhood that let their dogs off-leash and/or poop in my yard, but I understand that this is what happens when you live around other people.

5 Likes

Where there’s muck, there’s brass, lad.

1 Like

Not in Europe, alas. Most rubbish gets incinerated, so it doesn’t matter if the bags are biodegradable or not.

2 Likes

New or used?

non-biodegradable plastic also means poop bombs for waste workers.

Some sort of paper would be ideal if a bit of paraffin could be added to one side. Although if your puppydogs have a well maintained diet untreated paper would work. The occasional squirts would be problematic I guess.

1 Like

Are plastic bags really that hard to find, or are they merely a nickel apiece? The area I lived in before had anti-plastic bag rules municipally & it did reduce their use drastically, but they were always there if you forgot your own bag, for a nickel apiece.

These are much cheaper, but then again many of the plastic bags being banned were corn-based compostable.

Single use plastic bags are totally banned in Seattle shops, and you have to pay 5c for the paper ones. Dunno about CA, but I imagine there are similar laws.

.10 here, you can get plastic or paper, with a heavy preference towards paper. I notice far, far fewer of the bags blowing around in the wind or floating by in the ocean. I am not complaining about the regulation at all.

I prefer bringing groceries home in my heavy duty canvas reusable grocery bags, as each carry around 2 of the larger paper bags worth of stuff and weight. This does a better job of balancing the load for my ailing back. Also the plastic were prone to break on the not awful, but involving many stairs, haul from my driveway to the kitchen.

Recent study that was internet passed around said the reduction in actual consumer waste to landfill is very slight, but I think the visible effects are recognizable in places where ‘plastic bag in tree’ is a frequent, local andy goldsworthy display.

5 Likes

I’m guessing you’re not a pet owner

I’m guessing he’s not a dog owner, but that’s a very different thing. Dog owners really have a sense of entitlement that’s rather off-putting to owners of other pets besides people who have no pets at all. Besides the whole pooping and peeing on other people’s yards, there’s the whole “I need to take my dog everywhere I go and people are unreasonable if they don’t let me take my dog to work, to the grocery store, and to restaurants” thing.

2 Likes

For cat litter, I use paper lunch bags. Just a little less plastic in the landfill.

I actually read the Seattle rules for kitty poop after getting a kitty treated for thyroid issues by radioactive iodine. Anyway not supposed to flush it and it needs to be in 2 plastic bags before going into the trash and can not be put in the yard/food waste.
As much as I would like to go biodegradable I can’t.

That’s a gross generalization. I’m a dog owner and while I “let” my dog pee where he wants, I pick up his poop and I don’t insist on anyone accommodating me bringing him anywhere I want. There certainly are dog owners like that, but not all of them, so it’s unfair to say, “Dog owners really have a sense of entitlement.”

For one thing, owners of large dogs aren’t the same as owners of small dogs. In the scenarios you’re describing, have you ever seen the owner of a St. Bernard insist on bringing it into a restaurant or grocery store? I have a small dog and only bring him places where I know he’s welcome.

1 Like

I’ve seen scoops with hollow handles that are designed to dump into bags…

Edit:
My wife had purchased one from a pet store…
On Amazon, this is all I see (sold out)
AmazonSmile : Favorite 11" Medium Sized Sturdy Plastic Tube Cat Litter Scoop/Self-Bagging Litter Sccop in Grey, 2-Pack : Pet Supplies

I think cat owners are the worst. At one point, we tried to have a sandbox for my kids and we had to give up on that because it became the neighborhood cat box.

I’ve moved from there to a suburb of Austin and people learn pretty quickly to not let their second cat roam around outside. Lots of coyotes.

3 Likes

Oh yes, those are definitely my favorite!

We used to leave them on old man Shenck’s porch all the time.

1 Like

We have barn cats but they don’t use the kids construction zone (it escaped the initial box like form and spread, construction//demolition/quarry zone works tho) The barn cats seem to prefer the woods, or they come in and use the house cats facility. The house cats stay in by choice except for outings very near the door where they realize they realize world big and run inside.

I think the sandbox thing is a city-cats thing. That’s why those Little Tikes green turtle sandboxes are so ubiquitous to urban/suburban life that everyone from North America who read this pictured one. Those have been a staple backyard component for 30 years or more.

3 Likes

Ya, our barn cats very rarely used my sandbox… I’m guessing that the few treats that I dug up in there were from our housecats when they ventured out.

If the only way to keep shit off of my hands and not smeared inside my backpack was a bag that would never, ever degrade, that would be my choice. All of humanity is dead-set on destroying Mother Earth, so there are some small “luxuries” I’ll indulge in while bagging huge piles of shit.

FWIW, I also use “Biodegradable… BUT NOT IN CALIFORNIA” bags.

2 Likes

You know what is worse than dog poo on the pavement?
A little plastic bag of dog poo on the pavement.

Right up there with disposable nappies thrown on the street.

1 Like

I bought them. They were all empty. Ripped off.

7 Likes