900 dog poop bags for $15

Damn, do we live in the same neighborhood? :hankey:

In my area, there are free dog poo bag dispensers for the folks too cheap to buy their own bags. So they use them, and then the walking paths and surrounding bushes are chock-full of blue bags filled with poo. Classy!

2 Likes

Why do they bother? I always see those a block around a garbage can. It makes no sense.

Also lawl @ the people angry about animal pee on grass as if itā€™s somehow another person ā€œdisrespecting their propertyā€.

4 Likes

A little plastic bag of dog poo tied to a branch of a tree or tossed into the brambles. ā€œThere is no dog poo fairyā€[1].

[1]I really want to see some Manga about the dog poo fairy. With schoolgirl uniforms. And tentacles.

2 Likes

OR for $0.25 you can get a large garbage bag that can hold well over 900 poops. :smile:

8 Likes

I buy biodegradable bags in 500s here in the UK, but not from Amazon unfortunately, from a UK company. Do they work? Well, if I canā€™t find an official bin I put them in a hole in a corner of the garden. When I looked recently, there was no sign of them at all, and no smell, so in summer they must be degrading in a few weeks. (I do not put them in the composter, though probably there is no scientific reasoning behind this.)

Odd, isnā€™t it? Cats are allowed to pee anywhere. We donā€™t have urban foxes here (but there are plenty in London) but we have hedgehogs, crows, buzzards, pigeons and gulls all of which deposit quite a lot of stuff. People make a special exception to be annoyed about dogs.

5 Likes

Not if you aim for the base.

10 Likes

Thereā€™s several reviews complaining that some of their rolls of bags were sealed on both ends, making them impossible to use, and some that were open at both ends. Making them less useful for keeping poo off your hands. Still, at that price even if you canā€™t use 4 or 5 of the rolls youā€™d probably still come out ahead.

In California, on garbage days, people would use my bins for their poop. Which would be fine if they didnā€™t invariably put their baggie in my recycling bin. Which gets me a fine from the city if I donā€™t see it and fish it out of the bottom of the bin.

2 Likes

In my city, plastic shopping bags are completely banned at most types of stores. You may purchase a paper bag for ten cents if you forget your cloth bags, but those arenā€™t very practical for dog poo. Just the right size for emptying the litter box, though, if you double-bag for security.

One thing: These bags all have plastic cores. I find these cores as litter all over the place now. I was a little disappointed to see you hype them here where their signal will be so greatly amplified.

Yes, they are cheap, but the little black cigarettes-sized cores were already becoming a nuisance and now that will get worse.

For the folks insisting on bags being biodegradable, I work for a public utility that has actively advocated for an end to plastic shopping bags. We donā€™t care about poop bags. They are going to landfill. Material in landfill does not reliably biodegrade no matter what itā€™s made of. I prefer the bags to be made of straight plastic because folks see the biodegradable marker and think they should put it in the compost. That is another problem.

3 Likes

I make it a point to pick them up around my city neighborhood, but beyond my efforts if itā€™s noticeable, itā€™s a problem.

I am not making this up: when my dog needs to Go in a new or unusual place, she looks embarrassed. I think she learned that from Dad.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with waetherman ā€“ what the hell is boingboing doing going out of its way to promote a nonbiodegradable product when there are clearly biodegradable ones available. Got values much?

Because, as @uhillard pointed out, poop bags end up at the landfill. It doesnā€™t make any difference if something in a landfill is biodegradable, since it wonā€™t degrade anyway. If you are looking to be environmentally friendly when selecting poop bags, get ones made out of recycled material.

Edit: looks like that isnā€™t quite accurate, the FTC requires stuff that is labeled biodegradable to degrade in a landfill relatively quickly. That does raise other problemsā€¦
<a href"https://news.ncsu.edu/2011/05/wms-barlaz-biodegradable/">Is Biodegradability a Desirable Attribute for Discarded Solid Waste? Perspectives from a National Landfill Greenhouse Gas Inventory Model

Edit 2: The Biodegradable Product Institute goes back to my original understandingā€¦
The Myths of Biodegradation

Myth: Biodegradable products are the preferred environmental solution because waste simply biodegrades in the landfill. Reality: Nothing biodegrades in a landfill because nothing is supposed to.
3 Likes

Many years back I went for a drive along the coast with my then-new dog. I hadnā€™t gotten in the habit of keeping bag in the car. Not wanting to get caught without, I stopped by a dollar store. The manager, seeing me wandering around the poorly organized place, asked what I wanted. ā€œWell, we have those dog poop bags over there, but let me how you something else.ā€ He pointed me to a box of ā€œNappy disposal bags,ā€ 150 for $1. Only difference between them and the dog poop bags they carried (50 for $1) was the color (translucent pink vs. opaque brown-black).

I still have the box, with maybe 50 bags left, under my car seat. Even allowing for inflation, thatā€™s a pretty good deal. The equivalent of 900 for $6.00.

(Iā€™ve always wondered, though: How many Americans looked at that box and wondered what a nappy was, and why it needed a bag?)

5 Likes

Itā€™s slang in the States as well, though a little more dated.

1 Like

Pet owners poop in your yard?

5 Likes

[quote=ā€œuhillard, post:49, topic:64758, full:trueā€]
One thing: These bags all have plastic cores. I find these cores as litter all over the place now.
[/quote]The little tubes in the middle. Yes, I was surprised to find these in the roll, as they are pretty substantial as such things go, and surely would increase the cost of the bags over using something made of paper. In any event, they are useful for various projects (eg, spacers over bolts), though my supply has far outstripped my use of them. Maybe when I have a couple of thousand Iā€™ll donate them to a local schoolā€™s art department.

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to have to QA every bag before use. So, in that case, Iā€™ll stick with the more expensive www.dogpoopbags.com.There the bags are reliable and quality and when there was an issue with a batch/shipment, they remedied it quickly and effectively. Iā€™ve been bagging shit with their products for almost a decade, why stop now? Woot woot!

1 Like

Itā€™s the same in my part of Massachusetts. Itā€™s espacially important since all the wiring is underground.

1 Like

Biodegradable ā‰  Compostable but Biodegradable is the $$ marketing term of choice. So while some people use them interchangeably it means that people can sell things that are biodegradable but not compostable for applications where compostable is key. Biodegradable is mostly bullshit because of what is necessary to achieve it. Compostable actually provides viable options for multi-use products.

I donā€™t use any bags for poop since leaving the city, but when I was there animal waste & litter went into the green bin in compostable bags, paper being first choice.

Dog people are allowed to put their poop into the green bins there (Toronto) and because these bags are mostly plastic, and because many people include plastic bags inadvertently or ignorantly, the processing facility removes them. It still probably affects the final compost product negatively, but they seem to find it acceptable and it means diversion.

The plastic bag removal would still be necessary because of people, but a distinct product that is for dog shit & compostable might help engender better habits & improve compost quality.

I remember getting material from the city on the subject that specifically asked people to not use biodegradable bags, period, for any waste or diversion program. They donā€™t work anywhere in major systems, itā€™s hogwash marketing even if the product is actually biodegradable.

1 Like