A delusional Trump hangs up during NPR interview when questioned about his election lies

I actually find this really frustrating, because Trump gets to just spew a torrent of lies, the interviewer tries to point out a particular assertion isn’t true, but Trump just deflects and is vague enough there’s nothing to pin down. The end result is that Trump mostly goes unchallenged - which makes it seem like most of what he said was true, rather than the reality, which is that everything he said was nonsense. This is why Trump is on NPR.

15 Likes

This is the key. This right here says it all.

16 Likes

What’s the point in giving Trump an interview in the first place? You already know he’s just going to lie and babble incoherently. That’s all he can do. Did NPR expect something different?

14 Likes

The cartoon zooms out to reveal Dubya Bush and Reagan behind him, saying “Elect morons.”

3 Likes

Because if they didn’t, the right would be like, “NPR doesn’t want to talk to Trump because they know that he’d tell the truth and they’d lose their libs”

3 Likes

Reading over that, it strikes me that he speaks about as well as Sarah Palin, who got raked over the coals far harder for her lack of eloquence…

18 Likes

They’ll say that anyway, even after he’s been interviewed 100 times. They are immune to reality.

7 Likes

I still recall how everybody made fun of Dan Quayle. After Palin, Trump and several others on the right, I would love to see a modern Dan Quayle- it would mean someone with at least half a brain.

6 Likes

I had really hoped that Inskeep used the “extra” time (since T signed off early) to refute some of the erroneous claims, but according to the transcript, no such luck.

9 Likes

10 Likes

And that is what a bullshitter sounds like.

5 Likes

Running away when reporters question him is his thing. In this case he couldn’t get out of the limo fast enough:

4 Likes

This isn’t even a tough interview. He’s so weak.

6 Likes

Inskeep is very polite
you can’t be polite to fascists,
they take as a sign of weakness and will shout over your reasonable tone.

When in the moment US journos should ask themselves:
How would Clair Bolderson handle this politician?

he also left on because he’d gotten his talking points in, and knew he’d get more attention than staying would.

being aggrieved and dramatic is as much his shtick as being a loud mouthed rambling counterfactual bully is

10 Likes

Trump gets to just spew a torrent of lies, the interviewer tries to point out a particular assertion isn’t true, but Trump just deflects and is vague enough there’s nothing to pin down. The end result is that Trump mostly goes unchallenged

Yup. Trump loves the Gish Gallop.

9 Likes

Well he DOES believe that he can sweet talk anybody.

1 Like

Two things I learned today after listening to Steve Inskeep for decades. He looks nothing like I thought he would and his last name is spelled nothing like I thought it was.

3 Likes

The first time I saw his photo he looked much younger and slimmer than I thought he was. I always pictured a more plump fellow who’d lost most of his hair.

Also related to your comment:

6 Likes

Trump will soon tweet that Inskeep is a ‘nasty, nasty man’…

3 Likes