A harrowing look inside the apocalyptic Evangelical cult around Donald Trump

Yes. Other Republicans might give them the SC judges that these people want, but they won’t mirror the hate and fear of modern Christian evangelicals. I always find it ironic these guys HATE the most traditionally Evangelical Christian president in modern times, Jimmy Carter.

SO Much this. Just about any system of belief will be warped this way. Either to justify people’s actions or to spur believers to do the leader’s bidding.

8 Likes

Religion is an expression of human culture and psychology. I’d argue that it probably hasn’t made the world better or worse in sum, as without religion, you’d still have people.

6 Likes

Recommended viewing for the BB forum dweller or their prosperity-gospel friends:

4 Likes

Yeah it does. I sent the article to my mother when it came out. She is a born again Dem and the daughter of an evangelical W. Va. preacher and I was eager to get her thoughts on the piece.

She never responded. I think it hit a nerve.

BTW that piece is certainly one of Rolling Stone’s better ones.

3 Likes

Dominionists actually embrace the thought of a flawed leader. A kind of super wolf who can defeat the non-dominionist wolves that gather at the nation’s capitol. Trump is perfect for them. A narcissistic hedonist who, they think, can deliver the empire to them.

It’s nuts, but dangerous.

5 Likes

c2356cfba70f6e810dc0dbeaab7e091adc3109da_1_552x500

11 Likes

Going a bit further, describing these assholes’ beliefs as ‘Old Testament’ does a pretty big disservice to Jewish folks. Especially since pagan concepts like hell, heaven, and the immortal soul that so motivate the Evangelicals’ Kohlberg-level-zero garbage morality were completely alien to Old Testament Jews.

9 Likes

Apocalyptic Evangelicals frequently say that that Democratic politicians are demonically influenced, or literal demons.

Republicans are always projecting their own faults on their opponents.

:thinking:

10 Likes

They are literally the people who murder and blame their victims for their own deaths.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/immigrant-kids-keep-dying-cbp-detention&ved=2ahUKEwjFnbyDm7XmAhWSKM0KHe4NB7QQFjAFegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1VHwpsMx8cHD6cISS4Zeqd

Now, we’re not supposed to use the word crazy anymore here on the bbs, but does that not sound like mental illness? In past decades, we called them Nazis. I don’t know what you wanna call them, or call it, but it’s not healthy for them or anyone else.

3 Likes

Which is funny, this whole gospel of prosperity stuff, when you remember that the reason for Martin Luther to create Protestants in the first place was because he was pissed about the catholic church hoarding money (besides other “sins” that today evangelicals have no qualms in reproducing)

Both Jesus and Luther wouldn’t recognize whatever it is that nowadays Xtians think their revolutions were about. They would be horrified by the hate and violence.

11 Likes

totally no photoshopping going on there.

I noticed. His hands look rather big.

1 Like

I imagine that plenty of Evangelical preachers would be happy to sell indulgences.

6 Likes

They sell lots in Heaven and sacred oil, pretty sure they must sell indulgences by any other name.

4 Likes

Only instead of funding Vatican building projects, the money would go to Trump-supporting PACs.

4 Likes

Or a new Ferrari.

5 Likes
1 Like

This could well have been covered in the 30-odd posts since yours, but I think one side of the argument is using ‘religion’ in a different sense to the other…

I’m pretty sure there’s hardly anyone who’d argue that a shared spiritual practice of some sort is necessarily bad. But I’m also sure that virtually everyone here feels that a dogmatic institution which is predicated on discouraging critical thinking is an example of the sort of parasitic superorganism which needs to be eradicated asap if humanity is to stand a chance.

2 Likes

Exacting ethics for thee, Industry standard practices for me.

1 Like