A juicer that won't make juice unless the produce is marked with special code [Updated]

Also yeast. It’s why we pasturize things and seal them in airtight containers.

1 Like

“There is not enough research to determine if cold-pressed juices are healthier compared to pasteurized juices”

Snake oil.

5 Likes

This has seriously been a solved problem for a hundred years:

(only used once so far: Juicer Test) I can’t wait to make lemonade with this thing when summertime hits, probably next week at this rate. But this article is right up there with Corey’s RFID enabled dishwasher which will only wash its own branded dishes.

4 Likes

Oh please. You actually can get a rush off of fresh cold-pressed juice, I’ve never had that happen after drinking anything out of a bottle. Speaking of green veggie juice (mostly) here.

And btw that article seems to really only be discussing bottled cold-pressed juices, not fresh. Also seems to be referring to fruit juices, over veggie.

1 Like

I’ll grant that as possibly true. What I was thinking of was that for the cost of eight glasses of this “fresh cold pressed juice” you can buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0169ZDFCE/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_2_w

and I suspect that most people who are reading this thread have access to one of these:

3 Likes

I really like my juicer, I need to use it more often, but I travel a lot and am single and keeping a lot of produce around tends to lead to a lot of waste. But I should still use it more, tomorrow I pick up produce! See, this is a good thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“That article” is Wikipedia, and the reason I linked to it was because they reference an actual, published study on the topic.

4 Likes

Hardly…

• Many enzymes catalyze with heat, every 10 degree increase in temperature will increase catalyzation by 50-100%.

• Many vitamins are destroyed by heating.

• Every 10 degree increase in heat will double the oxidation rate, which of course also destroys most complex phytonutrients, and oxidizes the minerals hindering both their uptake and utilization.

• Heating breaks down and re-chains fats and sugars/carbs and alters proteins.

• Heating destroys many anti-oxidants directly, as does the increased oxidization.

If you know anything about nutrition or chemistry then you have to understand the multitude of ways that heat affects nutrients. There is almost no aspect it doesn’t affect.

Heat isn’t all bad though, it is good at breaking things down, so it increases extraction volume yields, and many juices, such as apple juice are good clear and heat extracted (not as good as the cold pressed ciders, imho) and pasteurization and bottling also most often involve heating as well, so these products keep much much longer.

Try both extraction methods at home yourself with a variety of fruits, i have. The reason the juice you get looks, smells, and tastes different, is because they are and they contain different things.

3 Likes

Not mine, although I almost never make fondue. The ceramic pot makes a great small casserole dish.

1 Like

I’m in, let’s do it! (i only read and quoted the important words!)

1 Like

Fair enough. I haven’t researched it enough to confirm or refute your claims (and am not a nutritionist (though I am in college as a Culinary Nutritionalist). As such, I’ll defer on commenting further.

1 Like

that is cool! :+1:

1 Like

I just use my trusty li’l Nutribullet. I usually toss in some strawberries, a banana, maybe some blueberries and/or raspberries, a pear, and an orange from my front yard. Maybe some ice water too. Easy, yummy, cleans easily, and I don’t believe it’s adversely affecting my health noticeably at all.

5 Likes

Indeed!

http://www.georgebrown.ca/H119-2016-2017/

1 Like

jealous!

3 Likes

Actually… SodaStream pulled out of the West Bank and 500 Palestinians lost their jobs.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/03/27/471885452/when-500-palestinians-lose-their-jobs-at-sodastream-whos-to-blame

I never got what was so much better about a SodaStream with a weird proprietary cartridge than a traditional seltzer bottle with standard CO2 carts.

3 Likes

I assume that any extraction process that stays below 37°C is ok.

1 Like

You monster!

2 Likes

There’s another one just out of frame to the left, plus an enormous old avocado tree in the back yard. We got super lucky with this house!

7 Likes

some extractions methods introduce more air into the juice which also can increase oxidization over time, nutrient shelf life/storage, which is why some people are also into slow cold extracted juices.

It isn’t really a speed issue though, but rather if the method decreases or increases the oxygen in the juice. Methods like pressing or masticating or auguring typically press air out of the juice, whereas spinning blades and centripetal spinners introduce more air. Does this matter? Not nearly as much as heat and mainly only if you plan to store the juice in the fridge for any period of time.

1 Like