A large gang of men from at least 11 states intended to violently disrupt a Pride event in Idaho

I’m glad somebody was brave enough to make the joke that needed to be made.

16 Likes
30 Likes

:joy: thank you for this.

Understand Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

30 Likes

So uncivil of them. Where was the attempt to listen to the fascists, to understand them, to compromise with them? If only they’d had Non Violent-Communication and were students of Nondualism back then. /s

19 Likes

Honestly, that’s still a good result. I doubt there’s much you can charge on a truck full of idiots dressed like bad movie extras. Sure, we all know they were likely on their way to do something bad, but a DA can’t say what or prove anything. It’s lucky they weren’t simply “dispersed” and law enforcement did some good here for once.

36 Likes

Now that is a great result. Publicly shaming these people is one of the best things we can do. Their neighbours may stop talking to them, they may lose their jobs, they may have trouble getting other jobs, etc.

Throughout human civilization, public shaming and boundary setting is how we have regulated behaviour to create a safe and prosperous place for everyone. Shaming works!

30 Likes

What gave it away?

18 Likes

prosecuting them for conspiring to violate the civil rights of innocent people would be a good second announcement.

19 Likes

Charge them with conspiracy to commit terrorism - because that’s what this is. Take their guns away and convict them of felonies so they can’t ever own guns legally again and they can’t ever vote again (not that I really agree with this part, I’m just venting a bit).

28 Likes

Yeah, came here to say something along the lines of “How dare they co-opt our chariot.”

13 Likes

35 Likes

I expect you know this already but there was a sort of crossover with gay men adopting skinhead style and culture - it was a hyper-masculine thing reminiscent of Tom of Finland.

Also, there was a really violent individual who was instrumental in causing violence at numerous events in the early 80’s including Rock Against Racism. He was the epitome of the vicious skin-head thug - an extremely violent, bigot. Then a few years later he sort of settled down, became a bike messenger and realised (and accepted) that he was gay. I think he died quite young in the mid '80s.

I wish I could remember more details about the guy. Someone posted a biography of him on a blog that I stumbled upon a long time ago. It was a fantastic read.

16 Likes

Just rude, isn’t it :grin:

I’d suspect it was just coincidence, I wouldn’t expect that sort of subtlety from the usually foolish bigots that do this sort of thing.

13 Likes

Were you thinking of Nicky Crane?

22 Likes

That must be him, yeah.

9 Likes

I’ve bookmarked that article to read properly later. Thanks

7 Likes

Read about this yesterday, apparently the charges for these people are misdemeanors and i find that baffling. That said I’m glad they were caught before they were able to carry anything out

9 Likes

Well, I had to find out how many of those jackasses were from Texas.
7 of 'em, to be exact. Looks like two different pairs live together. Two of the houses are blurred in Google Street View, which I thought was interesting.
Most of 'em are from around the Metroplex, which isn’t surprising. While Dallas itself is blue, the surrounding multitude of towns are bright red, for the most part.
The jackass from the Houston area is from Conroe, a redneck town about 30 miles to the north.

19 Likes

Nothing wrong with a nice oi boy… or a pair holding hands! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’d argue that skinheads (the non-racist ones, at any rate) are of a variety of sexual orientations… There’s not reason one can’t be an oi boy and be gay…

Also… obligatory…

28 Likes

that unicorn riot link in the tweet has a lot of information on the terrorists they arrested. names, criminal history, and past organizing they’ve done

sounds like they all had to commit various bits of vandalism in order to join the gang: nazi graffiti, defacing blm, and pride displays. and apparently they practiced attacking and disrupting events together.

on the one hand to me it almost seems like some sort of weird fascist cosplay. on the other hand, it’s got real world consequences and they’re causing real harm.:confused:

i’m worried about what happens if they feel no shame.

they’ve setup a world for themselves where even after being arrested most are likely to paint themselves as victims, and as heroes. their friends and family might feel the same, or talk about how “nice” they are. the gop talking heads will talk about government overreach and how america is losing traditional values

some of these men might be nudged back to normal society. the rest have already been radicalized by all the little steps they took - and all the support they had - to get to this point

23 Likes