A nerve-wracking climb down the world's worst ladder design

Yeah, that’s what I think as well. The only reason I brought it up is that Carlisle is right where

and that in this case it might have saved time in getting a paramedic up the chimney rather than wait hours for an extra long jerry picker. Of course, as it turns out, it wouldn’t have made a difference to the tragic outcome.

I am genuinely surprised their main sales pitch isn’t as a “toy” to be kept on a super yacht. That’s usually where all the other cool but expensive and useless gadgets end up. And it sounds exactly like the sort of thing Jeff Bezos would use to transfer from his anchored yacht to a party on the Amalfi coast to make an impression.

3 Likes

And this is why I remember it

2 Likes

Dude, I’m still waiting for my fricking Spandex jacket.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that market has been cornered by the hydrojet packs/boards.

Natural fit for a boat, easier to handle, needs a lot less upper body strength to operate, run time basically only limited by the rider’s stamina (or attention span), launched from the water i.e. doesn’t mind a ditch in the drink nearly as much as a turbine or gas jet, runs on pumps that are pretty straightforward compared to 120,000 RPM microturbines…

2 Likes

Or raced in Dubai?

One goes in the water, no crashes (close miss).

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant with Red Bull events.
Pretty much the same whoever actually hosts/sponsors/promotes it. Fun, but just a stunt.

2 Likes

I think they usually keep the toys on a super support vessel that travels in the flotilla with the billionaires (may we murder each and every one of them and expropriate their wealth) super duper yachts.

1 Like

Just one of the reasons why I’d want an aircraft carrier for a yacht. Ample storage space once you’ve reduced the air wing somewhat. And you just can’t beat the huge sun deck.

2 Likes

Snow Crash:

The center of the Raft is L. Bob Rife’s yacht, formerly the USS Enterprise nuclear-powered aircraft carrier

1 Like

so interesting that his hands are on the outside of the ladder, and he only puts his feet on the rungs. have i been climbing ladders wrong all these years?

( okay. i don’t climb ladders. but you know. in principle )

1 Like

That’s the way to do it. :wink:

ETA

Of course not - you’re a cat! You don’t need to.

1 Like

Oh, I am aware of that. Very, very aware

2 Likes

Kind of depends on where the ladder is.

If it is vertical or going back over an overhang and fully secured then you want your hands around the rails (verticals) as they can maintain almost constant contact while you can lean back slightly, which can help you climb more efficiently.

If you have a ladder leaning on a structure you will want to use the rungs, if you use the rails and your feet slip, the change in your centre of gravity will tend to pull the ladder away from the structure, which can be disastrous. Since this means moving your hands away from gripping the rung you will need to keep three points in contact at all times (i.e. you should not move a foot and hand at the same time, and you should not be carrying anything in your hands).

In both cases let your knees go outside the rails as you climb, do not try to keep them within the width of the ladder.

This is what I was told, but I am not an authority, and there is a lot more about siting ladders and making them as secure as possible.

3 Likes

bd277814-609a-4aec-8b63-2e42e02d502f_text

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.