A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

I’ve long thought that one of the rides should be a two-hilled roller coaster called The Grand Tetons.

9 Likes

But when it started out, it was much like Silver Dollar City, with only a few rides, and a LOT of shows…

Hell on earth for a 10 year-old.

ETA: She herself is still very likeable, though.

9 Likes

I was watching some documentary on PBS and they said she wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You (IIRC) on the same night. That’s one hell of a night!

13 Likes
3 Likes

She thinks. She was so prolific back then that she can’t even remember.

2 Likes

After trump mocks her, Greta claps back:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg

15 Likes

Once again Fred Clark at Slacktivist has nicely deconstructed how the term “conservative” is used to distance oneself from admitting what one should know in their heart: being a jerk to other human beings is shitty.

15 Likes

Just when I think she can’t get any awesomer…

3 Likes

Nice!

7 Likes

Nice but I thought we weren’t supposed to feed the trolls. To me, the first time she did it she was announcing herself as a presence is his schoolyard. Now that she’s so surpassed him, she’s bringing him up to her level. I’d say ignore the guy.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is resistance to Trump, but it is anti-authoritarian leader, which is very very similar.

12 Likes

Yes, one bright light at least, in the midst of a shit-ton of darkness.

6 Likes

Thread.

6 Likes

Sounds like a good place to expend a few spare $’s.

14 Likes

This is the best cover ever of Jolene

9 Likes

If anyone hasn’t listened to the Dolly Parton’s America podcast, it is AMAZING. (Rusty Blazenhoff’s recommendation: New podcast: Dolly Parton's America - Boing Boing). Never thought of myself as a Dolly fan, but it’s about the best podcast I’ve ever heard. Great discussion about her worldwide appeal, increasingly young fan demographics, and decades-long feminist example (although she initially rejected the label).

7 Likes

I think she still rejects the term ‘feminist’, and cites all the right-wing falsehoods about why, but as you say, she embodies it despite that fact.

10 Likes

Yes.

And nevertheless, Weeeeeee will alllllllways love heeeeeeer!

13 Likes

The first episode ends with an interesting discussion of Dolly’s rejection of the label. Guest Sarah Smarsh offered a sympathetic view of the rejection (which she wrote up here: Working-class women are too busy for gender theory – but they're still feminists | Feminism | The Guardian). Ultimately, Dolly did not reject being called a “feminist in practice.”

That’s me…that’s a good way of saying it. I work it, and I think there’s power in it.

13 Likes