A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Older voters (ages 65 and older) preferred Trump over Clinton 53%-45%.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve been reading Breitbart. As far as I can tell, the right wing sites are all an information closed loop. They are fed by Breitbart and Drudge, and then itā€™s just circulated through. Drudge I think does a better job of giving a big assortment of topics, but Breitbart is really narrow. I assume, because of Bannon, that it is directly being fed information from him to spin stories a certain way. So, for example, the Rachel Maddow show, they had a big headline all cued up to counter her narrative immediately as soon as her show aired. I also suspect that they have sockpuppets that go into the comments sections and kind of lead the cheers over there. I think itā€™s important to see how the world looks from the Fox/Breitbart/Drudge point of view, partly because if you talk to someone ā€œon the other side of the fenceā€ they will surely bring up some story that you had no idea what they are talking about. Like, Chicago. They are obsessed with Chicagoā€™s murder rates. If you donā€™t want to be taken by surprise, itā€™s good to at least know what their conversations are like so you can formulate some answers.

19 Likes

There needs to be community-nominated badge for this. It should involve some amalgamation of your avatar and

17 Likes

I agree with all that. What Iā€™ve noticed is that they like to change the subject, especially to Hillary and Obama. Itā€™s like pulling teeth to get them to stay on topic, and some just refuse to. Their minds are made up and they just donā€™t want facts about Trump. And they label anything bad as ā€œfake newsā€ anyway.

7 Likes

Lets see how that tune changes when they start having fake jobs and fake health insurance.

12 Likes

@OhhJim and @HMSGoose

First off, I tots want that badge!!!

Second, we all have confirmation bias. I think this election in particular really showed that. We are not rational creatures. We pick a side and cheer for it until the death. Itā€™s really destructive for us all. For me, personally, I have found politics this last cycle grueling because I live with a Trump supporter. I feel like what is happening to polarize the country is tearing us apart. I have been committed to trying to find other ways to talk, other ways to listen.

The other side feels we are just as irrational, and we are. Obama, man, when he came into office I was so lukewarm on him. But over time I really came to like him, but then, did he just become my team? I mean, there were some real policy issues that he championed.

I need to see how we can cross the divide and start to take other peopleā€™s concerns seriously. I donā€™t like Trump but the people I know who do are not stupid. Iā€™m tired of all the put downs. And we are driving people into their racist/sexist bubbles with how we are engaging from this need to always be right.

I was brought up seeing conversation as a way of winning, of being right, of making someone see my side. And itā€™s not working. I wish I had all the answers, I feel like I am learning some ideas to explore. I know I canā€™t ignore this other side of the media that doesnā€™t seem to speak to me. Iā€™ve got to somehow make friends with it and see what is attractive about it.

10 Likes

That seems like a very healthy attitude. I tend to agree that we pick a side and cheer for it a long time, but some do come to see the other side. When I was a young adult, I was extremely Right-Wing. My girlfriendā€™s parents were strongly John Birch and I got that side of the issues. I remained very RW until I actually started listening to what the arguments were, and realized that Bill Clinton made more sense than, say, Newt Gingrich. Now I tend to be socially moderate, while still somewhat fiscally conservative (relatively speaking, of course). But itā€™s hard to talk to people who know almost nothing while insisting they are experts.

9 Likes

I know somewhere I heard a guy talking about how fundamentally there are people who are raised with authoritative parental figures and those raised with more supportive parents and that there is some brain development that goes on there really early that makes one predisposed toward one point of view or the other. I really really donā€™t get the appeal of someone like Gingrinch, and I do think that people who like him have some kind of love of strong authority. Trump, too, I think the fact that he has fuck you money and lives in his own reality is something a lot of people aspire to.

3 Likes

http://theproudliberal.org/over-22000-coal-miners-who-voted-for-trump-are-about-to-be-screwed-by-the-republican-congress/

The great irony in all this is that the Democrats have been the ones working to draft legislation to protect the miners called the Minersā€™ Protection Act ā€“ yet coal miners overwhelmingly voted for Trump.
16 Likes
9 Likes

Did any of them bother to tell the coal miners about that?

7 Likes

Anyone remembering Cop Killer and what happened when that song came out?

15 Likes

The outrage was hilarious

9 Likes

And insane. I still think that it was aimed at the song because it was an election year and Bodycount as a band was aimed at white youths. Itā€™s not like there wasnā€™t other metal/thrash/punk out there with violent themesā€¦ but a black dude sings about it!!! Canā€™t have that!

16 Likes

These busybodies wouldnā€™t have understood punkā€¦ but hip hop is scary black men!

5 Likes

Oh, well the talk show circuit in the 1980s had PLENTY to say about punk - look up Donahoeā€™s punk show or Serena Dank who had a cottage industry of ā€œsavingā€ those poor punkers. You could throw a rock and hit an 80s drama kvetching over the dangers of punk. There was something of a mini-punk panic in the 80s to go along with the satanic panic.

13 Likes

Breitbart was pretty narrow when Breitbart ran it, it was just the TMZ of conservative news. I think the mutation occurs as they needed to come up with smarter arguments that require nuance to discuss the actual issues with the reporting. Sort of like heyjackass.com or something like that - itā€™s a site 100% dedicated to black crime in Chicago. Quelle suprise, itā€™s a site whose google search of the name goes 1) the site 2) their twitter 3) their facebook 4) their youtube 5) progun blog 6) their reddit 7) niggermania forums.

Iā€™m still baffled by how openly people speak about it at their work places, then again I was one of the few to speak against it. Iā€™m also baffled that infowars got mainstream, though I know why Fox News Pundits are, they were normalized a long time ago by people wanting TV time for their brand.

4 Likes

Sounds like a reggae band.

I got sent home with a stack of Readers Digests (in a triple knotted plastic bag) every time I visited my grandparents. Believe me, I know :slight_smile:

But the subtle nuances were always lost on those people.

3 Likes

Yeah. Better not tell them about any of these guys:

Or these guys

12 Likes

Oh, for fuckā€™s sake.

18 Likes