ABC cancels 'Roseanne' because Roseanne Barr is a racist

Gotta be satire.

Maybe his real account is something like RealBillO’Reilly?

Or it could be part of a rebranding attempt, given he’s long loved nothing more than insulting millions among the downtrodden, and he’s “decided to turn over a new leaf.” (Nah. That’s just too hard to imagine.)

8 Likes

All I want now is a “Roseanne without Roseanne” where the show is accidentally deep because she’s not around giving her sass.

19 Likes

That’s the one. In additon, @TobinL made the point that:

It becomes a hit because every reasonable person in the movie universe concludes “Springtime for Hitler” is a deliberate satire, not only because of the content but because of the terrible directing, writing and acting.

6 Likes

Why does the ‘no spin zone’ always leave one so dizzy?

3 Likes

“Fake Nuge”

4 Likes

Next headline: “Roseanne show picked up by Fox Network.”

3 Likes

Perhaps trying, but not getting at all close to succeeding. The muslim neighbors had to prove themselves to be good people. Their validity was contingent.

11 Likes

In the old days somebody like Bill would look at somebody like Roseanne and all he would see is “uppity female.” They’ve both been famous for a long time. Maybe it’s personal.

2 Likes

Yeah, I imagine it was as subtle as a cinder block to the face.

4 Likes

During last week’s cover story about the triumphant return of her series Roseanne this spring, Roseanne Barr told Adweek that she was going to try a new social media approach when it comes to her frequently controversial Twitter feed: “I’m going to just try to talk about what I’m for, rather than what I’m against.”

Turns out she’s for racism.

And that circle is now complete

29 Likes

nominee for Secretary of Sass?

3 Likes

Why go for half measures? She seems like a perfect fit for the new head of ICE, or possibly White House speechwriter.

2 Likes

The thing was about that was that she wasn’t accepting of Muslims in the end, just her Muslim neighbors. This is actually really on the nose in many ways for how many bigoted people act. Those in their circle who may be different (the “I have a black/gay/etc friend/family member/etc” defense) but for anybody outside of their circle the bigotry is in full force.

IOW, those Muslims may have been ok, but not Muslims in general.

21 Likes

The difference:

6 Likes

Look out, Sarah Sanders!

5 Likes

Yup. And by all accounts Carol O’Connor was basically the complete opposite from his Archie Bunker persona. Rosanne on the other hand…

16 Likes

Exactly. “Archie” was shocked. Carol kissed back.

5 Likes

It’s a shame everyone else on the show will have to find work because Roseanne had to be a dick.

But freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.

Also as Patton Oswalt noted a while ago, a lot of Trump supporters seem to think they can be just as insulated from consequences as he’s happened to be so far - and thankfully, a lot of them are finding out to their surprise that they are not.

24 Likes

She ran for the Green nomination in 2012.

7 Likes

In the world of racist statements that Americans make, there’s things that white people don’t think are racist at all, there’s things they know damn well are prejudicial but don’t think are really, you know, racist, and then there’s things that that just scream “I have a KKK hood in my closet and I am proud of it.”

Roseanne’s tweet was definitely in the last category. And that category is so widely recognized as beyond the pale that even large soulless corporations know they cannot tolerate someone on their payroll saying stuff like that without repercussions (except for Fox News or Trump Enterprises).

9 Likes