ABC cancels 'Roseanne' because Roseanne Barr is a racist

Ambassador of Foot in Mouth Disease

4 Likes

Like a friend’s mom once said: “If people tell you they are crazy, believe them.”

9 Likes

Just in time for Last Man Standing and Fox to make a return and take over this ‘segment’ of TV sitcoms. I bet the ratings for that show skyrocket when it returns.

1 Like

Likewise. It’s the same as my christian friend who said “that’s very christian of you” - she meant it kindly, but it’s hard not to interpret it as “you are better than the lousy category you actually belong to - you are in fact so good that you belong to my category”.

8 Likes

On a platform that included revoking rights for transgender people.

Her bigotry isn’t new - and isn’t limited.

12 Likes

Oopsie!

Next up - the country club and pool guy.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/roseanne-barr-no-longer-client-former-tv-star-also-fired-talent-agency/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes

Never say anything that might upset Disney-ABC.

That said, the ratings were initially good for the Roseanne reboot. This decision does probably mean ABC walked away from a lot of money on a principle (a justified one, IMO).

4 Likes

Oh gawd - NO ! Just NO.

5 Likes

10 Likes

She can always fall back on her singing career

8 Likes

I like the show but, she’s been flip flopping with her political ideology for years and saying crazy shit. So I’m not entirely surprised… switching between an inactive and active celebrity role was also probably challenging because what outrages today probably didn’t outrage as much when Roseanne was originally on the air.

3 Likes

They could have killed off the character with some lack of health insurance coverage plot line and carried on without her…

Ok that probably would not work so cancelling will have to do.

9 Likes

I’m guessing Barr has some level of control over the series so this would never happen, but imagine John Goodman’s character remarrying a woman whose name happens to be Roseanne and the series continuing with the new couple.

8 Likes

Actual video of the conference room where the decision to cancel was made:

giphy-7

8 Likes

I do. I’m white and I do. If I describe a group of a people as “old white men” I’m saying something along the lines of “clueless dinosaurs”. “So fucking white” would indicate a lack of diversity or inclusiveness. “A little too white” would mean that I’m getting nervous that they’ll do something racist, sexist or homophobic and I wouldn’t want to be associated with them.

You can also refer to someone’s dancing as white, which typically means lacking rhythm, coordination or not even trying to be in sync with anything else. And activities can be white, such as Nascar or rodeo – not that there’s anything wrong with watching cars go round and round and round for hours.

4 Likes

Those $$$ will never compare to TV $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

It’s why the first show was a success. We shouldn’t forget her original schtick was pointing out how little respect society had for women who looked and sounded and worked like her character. It should also be noted that it was an unusual show in that they weren’t living in some sort of upper class aspirational fantasy with corresponding furniture, as was the custom in the 80s.

Of course, that was then, this is now, and is a good reminder how much of pop culture isn’t talent or genius, it’s the simply the luck of being the right talent hitting your moment at the right time. In a lot of ways, this could have been her right time again- but in the intervening years she has demonstrated that her talent was a lot of heat and no light.

4 Likes

Roseanne… You don’t have to put on your white hood tonight.
Those days are over, you don’t have to lobby for the right.
Roseanne… You don’t have to wear your klan robe tonight
Fuck your tweets honey. You don’t care if they’re wrong or if they’re right.

30 Likes

They must really expect the ratings to plummet. Otherwise ABC wouldn’t give a flying Nielsen. There’s plenty of room for right wing TV series, unless they’ve suddenly cancelled Last Man Standing, Blue Bloods, that show Matt Leblanc’s doing, the new Ashton Kutcher show, Quantico, etc. etc.
On the Roseanne show, at least (if not IRL), topics were usually presented fairly, She understood the role of being groundbreaking in a major way, and how it contributed to her legacy.
I mean, I won’t miss it, since the acting was awful. Only a few of the cast were decent actors, and Goodman is really phoning it in, while the sister is a caricature of a caricature. Only Darlene seems to be pulling her weight.
So no, I won;t miss it. I only went to the cockroach races to see if there was a crash, anyway.

2 Likes