ABC cancels 'Roseanne' because Roseanne Barr is a racist

Yeah, IIRC this was ABC’s first #1 show in years and they hardly hesitated to drop her. That says good things about which way the wind is blowing right now.

8 Likes

“Turn off that gas light… Turn off that GAASSS LIIIIGHT!

20 Likes

I also think she’s gone significantly further down a contrarian path into…well, where she is now.

80s/90s Roseanne would think this Roseanne is out of touch with reality. And the earlier Roseanne would be correct.

4 Likes
20 Likes
9 Likes

I’m ok with the concept of attractive people having more pull, but I just think we shouldn’t assume white people are more definitively attractive.

Funny how those who hate Kaepernick and other NFL players for kneeling during the anthem as disrespectful are the same people who probably watched her show (former and reboot) and loved her.

9 Likes

That’s very white of you.

(And that’s a joke. Maybe a bad one, but still. Can’t disagree about your NASCAR description.)

I know. Those pasty faced…

Funny side story. The right wingers are now calling for Bill Maher to be fired for pushing that Trump is have orangutan.

They seem to be forgetting the following:

1. Maher was fired by ABC when he made a joke about 911.

2. He is on HBO now which is an entirely different.

3. neither of trumps parents are African American ergo the comparison is not racial it’s about the unnatural color Trump tans himself to.

4. it was actually a bit intended to satire Trump over his continued birth certificate stance on Obama.

But sure conservatives. Apples to aardvarks.

16 Likes

ABC did not cancel ‘Roseanne’ because Roseanne Barr is a racist. Roseanne Barr was always a racist and ABC was happy to have her show, until she made that tweet.

9 Likes

Im betting that if Roseanne had “just” used the muslim-brotherhood slur, she would not have been cancelled.

That slur is used constantly, by many Republican congressmen and others, and they never face the consequences. they know muslim-bashing is an “acceptable” practice in American public discourse.

10 Likes

Place your bets…

9 Likes

It’s also forgetting:

1. Bill Maher is an intensely racist right-wing arsehole pretending to be on the left, and the real left would vigorously celebrate his demise.
7 Likes

I do not agree with that statement in the slightest bit. At all.

1 Like

No.

Not at all.

8 Likes

That particular racing form of chin-stroking equivocaters grows longer with every passing day. It really needs to be done on an outlet-by-outlet basis.

The top picks from the NYT op-ed page are Bari Weiss, Bret Stephens and Bobo Brooksie in that order (Barr’s crudeness and discussion of sex surely gave Cardinal Douthat the vapours, so he’ll be glad she’s gone).

I fully expect that Brian Santa Maria’s headline “Our Failure to Accept Roseanne is Our Failure to Accept Americans” will be used in earnest by at least one op-ed pundit.

Another thing a reporter at the NYT pointed out: the president of ABC Entertainment Group who made the decision and the announcement is an African-American woman (also a Gen Xer):

She did greenlight the show in the first place, but her swift reaction to Barr’s tweets is one that I doubt we would have seen from white male Boomer executive.

Also, love this tweet:

10 Likes

YMMV, but have a poke at the #FuckBillMaher hashtag on Twitter if you want to see what the Black and Muslim left thinks of him.

6 Likes

It was a black woman. I shut you not. Barr’s “boss” at ABC (for all intents and purposes) was a black woman. And Barr STILL couldn’t help herself!

2 Likes

Maher is also one of the few prominent figures on the so-called “left” who still vocally supports letting those dumb racists say whatever they want, so of all the targets for the MAGA crowd to go after he’s certainly an odd pick.

10 Likes