Activists dump boxes of orange confetti on tennis court during Wimbledon match

Originally published at: Activists dump boxes of orange confetti on tennis court during Wimbledon match | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Well, at least they didn’t glue themselves to the net.

6 Likes

So, do they vacuum the grass? Get those cut little Henry hoovers?

I bet un-environmentally friendly glitter would be impossible to fully get out.

5 Likes

“We’re radical activists, not monsters.

13 Likes

This might be going over my head, but what’s the connection? Is it sponsorships?

5 Likes

Great to see.

It got their name and important message out there (e.g., Mark’s bb post).

So, a drop in her (oil) bucket then. :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

Visibility, mainly it seems. I can’t imagine how they draw a connection between a Monet painting and climate change, but they’re happy to destroy one for the sake of attention. I like this approach of disrupting an elitist sporting event much more. Art is our legacy.

8 Likes

Better this than the paintings, worse than plugging the golf holes, IMHO.

5 Likes

I just read about the golf courses – that fits, it seems to me. But disrupting olympic-style events like footraces just sucks, too.

4 Likes

The Olympics would be fine, that’s incredibly wasteful. General events don’t seem that good. Horse racing would be better, I think.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be mad if someone went around plugging golf holes with no ideology at all. Just for the lulz.

12 Likes

So, what was the jigsaw?

ETA: clearly a puzzle

2 Likes

They seem plenty visible already. It would be nice if they did something useful, though.

Seriously, every time I hear about one of these stunts, I expect it to be them, and when it inevitably is, my first thought is “ugh, these assholes again?” I have yet to hear of them doing anything to actually help the environment, though they’ve probably upped the sale of paint thinners quite a bit.

9 Likes

For some reason this reminds me of a Rolling Stone article I read ca. 2000 about “environmental activists” who were driving across the country (first red flag) doing… stuff. In one anecdote, they stop at a McDonald’s to use the bathroom and deface it while decrying how urinals and toilets use fresh water; “Pissing in fresh water, pffff!” was the quote as I recall… as they were pissing in fresh water.

4 Likes

They must be well-funded if they can afford tickets to Wimbledon.

6 Likes

None, and none required. JSO is of the “radical visibility” school of protest. Basically it throws out the rules of what “polite” protesting is supposed to look like because frankly that hasn’t been working and we’re running out of time.

Many of their antics seem silly and I’m no expert on whether they work, but at this point with only a few years left before we lose 2.0C, I’m not sure we should poo poo any ideas. We are really really fucked if we don’t reverse this right the fuck yesterday. The urgency of society is way way way below where it should be for this problem.

6 Likes

Why orange?

1 Like

my guess? Because it shows up better on TV

3 Likes

Exactly.
Especially when we get Shell making statements like this (while still trading Russian gas) at the same time smugly announcing stronger than expected profits.

4 Likes

Whatever you think about them or their methods they do have a strong “corporate” identity.