Adidas posts "Gas All Jews" tweet after turning account over to hashtag-parroting ad bot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/adidas-posts-gas-all-jews.html

4 Likes

If anyone is wondering about @96wasnotenough:

We have finally got to the point where it is accepted it was the cops fault, after 30 years.

31 Likes
21 Likes

I was in England when that happened, although nowhere near Sheffield. I remembered watching it. It was horrible.

As for this, I guess it’s time for Adidas to turn their account over to the apology bot.

12 Likes

Why :clap: are :clap: major :clap: brands :clap: on :clap: twitter?
This keeps happening. The benefits can’t outweigh this kind for risk.

16 Likes

And yet, apparently it must.

There’s no such thing as bad publicity.

4 Likes

How else is Twitter going to make money?

6 Likes

Can we just get fucking rid of this annoying technology forever, please?

I can think of nothing more infuriating, vapid, and useless than twitter, except the head twit, Trump

6 Likes

To get hit on by furries?

9 Likes

the promotional campaign was hijacked

LOL it wasn’t “hijacked”, Adidas just incompetently opened their tool to anyone on the internet who wanted to prank them.

14 Likes

Is there some political/ideological reason why someone would desire more people to have died at that match? Or is the twitter handle just typical internet driving trollies?

2 Likes

I wonder if the amount of money they saved on not hiring someone to comb through the responses is worth it now.

3 Likes

It’s a conservstive/far right/posh English bigot thing that people from Liverpool are scum. So the Sun newspaper blamed the victims, the establishment covered it up, and Boris Johnson next PM and leader of the Nasty Party wrote an editorial when he was editor of the racist rag the Spectator that while okay, they didn’t deserve to die it really was their fault for being scally scum and don’t they just love complaining? Get over it whiners!

27 Likes

Man, that’s so fucked up.

17 Likes

And particularly with this strategy. You have complete “plausible” deniability, as it wasn’t anyone on staff, it was the vicious internet turning something that could have been so fun into something dirty. That dirty, mean ol’ internet! I imagine they had the apology tour already gamed out. This isn’t the first time this has happened to “tweet us anything!” campaigns, and the feedback has been positive. In this case, though, with a UK sports brand, I’m not sure they dotted all the i’s on the apology tour phase, because I can imagine football fans being angrier about the apology that the original offense…

7 Likes

I have it on good authority from someone who used to work quite high up in the Adidas food chain that the company is imploding by promoting total idiots to leadership positions. Everyone below that level is demoralized and leaving if they can. FWIW.

8 Likes

“The Peter Principle”.

Aw peeps, plus ca change.

5 Likes

Given the level of naivete on display here, I’m wondering if an AI is running their social media account…

2 Likes

Twitter is for twits

3 Likes

Just look at this racist talking robot banana

5 Likes