After Nike hires Colin Kaepernick for ad campaign, conservative halfwits destroy own property to own the libs

6 Likes

This reminds me of the Bush supporters who bought French wine to pour it down the drain when France declined to join in the invasion of Iraq.

More seriously, the Turkish government has been whipping up anti-American feeling because of worsening relations with the Trump administration. Pro-government media are celebrating acts of patriotic self-ownage.

Throughout August, almost every day, pro-government TV channels and newspapers have informed us of the “exemplary citizens” finding ingenious ways to protest against America, and the west as a whole. A father in Adana, a city in the south, publicly burned his children’s US passports. An ultranationalist group demonstrating in the same city burned US dollars in front of TV cameras. Afterwards their spokesman said, “we will overcome this crisis. We will make the priest an imam” – a reference to the US pastor Andrew Brunson who had been kept in prison for two years and was then moved to house arrest. In Muğla, in the south-west, Ferhat Dolar applied to court to have his family surname changed.

2 Likes

False equivalence. Running shoes don’t have the potential to kill people if they end up in the wrong hands.

27 Likes

Rosa Klebb would like a word…

15 Likes

There might be a bit of a difference there, or… at least you can understand the thought process;

Destroying the gun is… well, you know. You’re destroying a weapon. It’s not done as an attack on a specific manufacturer, or the conservatives. It’s the literal destruction of a weapon - which is kind of what we object to. The existence of the damn weapon. (put aside the whole short barrelled thing, and, besides, I thought she subsequently damaged/cut the receiver as well?)

Destroying a Keurig coffee maker (insert liberal leaning consumer product here) is, well…

13 Likes

At least most of them are taking their shoes off.

Most.

You do realize the Just Do It slogan has been around for longer than Kap has been alive right?

This is about Nike saying he embodies the values of the Just Do It phrase.

2 Likes

13 Likes

It’s all a plot to disarm the right of weapons.

A better use of protest shoes:

8 Likes

They’re protesting someone that was against police brutality and racism. Peek USA right there.

13 Likes

16 Likes

I invested five seconds and found it for you.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/this-gun-owner-cuts-his-assault-rifle-in-half-in-support-of-gun-control

Pappalardo, a gun rights supporter who says he has the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution tattooed on his arm…

Cammas said he had mixed feelings while cutting up his weapon, saying it had been fun to use while boar hunting and range shooting.

Amanda Meyer of Connecticut [said] that while she grew up around guns and knew how to use them safely, she no longer found it worthwhile to own one.

What a gang of typical liberals, amirite?

29 Likes

I do! In fact, I am old enough to remember when it first started!

Doesn’t make me feel great about civil rights issues being co-opted to sell shoes though.

1 Like

100% true though Nike certainly didn’t have to or need to hire Kaepernick or reference his protest at all. A lot of brands are adverse to doing anything that might “tarnish” their image, and i understand Nike is big enough to be able to take such a risk but i do give them props for putting out this campaign.

At the end of the day though, i don’t buy Nike products because i can’t afford them and i’m not a brand loyalist so its not like they’re making money off me.

12 Likes

I am still skeptical, I think they are taking a risk for sure, but doing so with the hope of a financial benefit as much as anything else.

If the company were to donate a significant portion of its profits (and/or the CEO’s salary) to civil right causes, I might be more convinced of their sincerity.

Don’t get me wrong though, I have nothing against Kapernick for participating in this, he is helping keep a spotlight on the issue by doing so, and he deserves every penny they are giving him and then some.

2 Likes

I am not so sure this is about “using” Kap and his message to sell shoes as it is using the brand to help promotoe Kap’s message and give him a new platform.

Nike was selling plenty of shoes without doing this to @Grey_Devil 's point.

6 Likes

Is it wrong to hope they inhaled all the fumes from the burning plastics and volatiles in the shoes?

3 Likes

Yes they were. But I am still skeptical, international mega corporations don’t do anything unless they think it will generate profits. I am happy that Kapernick is getting a well deserved payout and happy that this keeps a light on the issue of police violence against people of color. But as far as Nike is concerned, I think they are doing something with positive social effects for the wrong reasons.

1 Like

To Colin Kaepernick: Just Do It.
To Donald Trump: Just Shut Up.

2 Likes

I understand the skepticism…but as a senior associate for an international mega corporation who I have watched for 18 years do things not for profit but for the greater good of society and not demand or publicize it in any way…This is where we need to remember that while a corporation is not a person, it is made up of people. And just as self-serving profit seeking assholes can run a company…good people can too.

5 Likes