After posting video depicting violent murder of Ocasio-Cortez, Rep. Paul A. Gosar to be ejected from congressional committees

9 Likes

An actual comedian posts an image depicting something tangentially similar: full investigation by the secret service, etc.
In case anyone needed a reminder.
The sides are not both “the same.”
This is a comedian, compared to someone, a sitting elected official, who has access to the target of his “joke” in their shared place of work.

28 Likes

I liked him better in his incarnation as a giant Slor. Sure, that form vomited sulphuric acid from all 5 ends, but it had style.

11 Likes

And she never ducked metal detectors seeking to prevent guns being brought onto the House floor. Where the person he threatened works.

“ Matt Fuller, a reporter for HuffPost, recorded at least 12 GOP lawmakers either side-stepping the metal detectors or setting them off and continuing on to the House floor. They included Reps. Virginia Foxx of North Carolina, Paul Gosar of Arizona, Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma and Louie Gohmert of Texas.”

21 Likes

I got curious so went to find the video. Looks like some lame edit of the manga “Titan” cartoons with giants that attack a walled city, and ninja like warriors that swing on cables and fight them. Gosar didn’t make the video some other right wing nut did and put AOC and Biden’s faces on some giants and Gosar’s face on the swinger. Its completely lame.

He was an idiot to post it, but I’m sure he was more tickled by being cast as a warrior hero than he was advocating violence. But he is also the un-self-aware dope that would not realize that right-wing nut cases would take this as a signal to violence. He deserves all his trouble for being such a dope.

3 Likes

“oh no, I’ve been thrown off my committees. What a terrible punishment for condoning the murder of my coworkers and attacks on the USA. I am sure to change my behavior as I face no other consequences.”

4 Likes

This is the worst stencil typeface I have ever seen.

(Not to mention “whatabouterism”)

1 Like

Wait, what? No… oh well, the devil you know…(pulls lever anyway)

and right wing.

Just being white won’t protect you (well, it will protect you more than if you were black, of course) if you choose to oppose the Reich.

11 Likes

How are you so sure? Because I’m not. And I don’t feel compelled to give this guy the benefit of the doubt…

14 Likes

The issue in VA (IMHO) is that we could not match the hate, anger and fear generated by the fascists. If you were not here, you would not believe the incoherent panic the “CRT in our schools!” issue generated. It is really hard to try to match something that is totally invented from whole cloth. You can’t prove it wrong, because it is imaginary. And when it looses steam, they will invent something else to stoke rage. One of the downfalls to being in the “fact based community” is you are kinda limited to things that are, and our opposition faces no such limits. We have to go vote because otherwise they will take over, and it is hard to get folks who are pretty comfortable to understand what a threat that really is.

20 Likes

I don’t know about giving Gosar credit for being stupid instead of violent. If someone killed AOC and said, “I did it because Paul Gosar told me to,” would Gosar feel remorse? I’d be willing to be a substantial sum Gosar would instead deflect, say that you can’t account for people with “mental illness”, etc.

Gosar wears one mask to intimidate and another mask to deflect blame. There is no dichotomy, Gosar is both.

16 Likes

But BOTH SIDES!!! Isn’t it completely NORMAL to post videos of you murdering your colleagues? /s

The fact that so many people just want to dismiss this is insane to me.

Well… no. He’d celebrate the he helped to off a Stalin in training… That’s where we are.

14 Likes

I’m not. I’m sure he was thrilled with 6Jan and could care less about the people it killed. But I do think his vanity and stupidity was what was on show here.

Well, I think like trump, people like this are happy to off-load the violence on other actors, and claim their hands are clean. Its part of the M.O. He’s happy to incite violence, and have others carry the burden of blame.

3 Likes

This is what gets me. I saw something from AOC recently detailing all the harassment she’s endured from her “colleagues” in and around her place of work. In any other professional setting* that would lead to reprimands if not firing. But in the hallowed halls of Congress, nothing.
And kicking these harassers off their committees is good, but it just gives them more time to roam the halls harassing people. And fundraise.

*not Fox News, obviously…or an unfortunate number of other institutions.

13 Likes

We’re not a year past when a mob of Trump and likely some Gosar supporters, carrying melee weapons, broke into the Capitol. If they’d found any democratic leaders, “lame” would not be an apt descriptor. Gosar still defends and trivializes their actions.
ETA: I know you think he was an idiot (we have consensus on that) and completely aren’t defending him, but I’m not sure if he believes that the problem with Jan 6 wasn’t that people did what they did, it might well be that they didn’t go far enough. He deserves no benefit of the doubt.

9 Likes

It’s a lose, lose situation.

But BOTH SIDES, right? Not like one side literally tried to over throw the government with violence already this year… Just normal stupidity… /s

GIF by Equipe de France de Football

14 Likes

If it was just about his vanity, the character his character killed, and the other, could have either stayed titans or had some symbolic face. Like a donkey. But no. He put AOC’s on the character killed and Biden on the one slashed. Then there is the issue of using an anime where the heroes are part of a facicist regime (though those characters do appear to redeem themselves in later seasons).

So no. This manipulated anime footage isn’t about Gosar’s ego or self glorification. It is about violence against those politically opposed to his beliefs and particularly one of the most powerful women in congress. Misogyny and political violence.

12 Likes

Hate to break the news but when Chris Collins was kicked out of committees for insider trading on the White House lawn, the people in my area reelected him by around 70% lol

6 Likes

Remember the good old days when a politicians career would be ended by having an affair or committing a crime or not paying taxes on their nanny’s salary or even making a racist slur?

2 Likes