After receiving insults for insulting a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model, Jordan Peterson departs from Twitter in a snit

The favorite Muppet part is the most important!

3 Likes

It wasn’t

Nutpicking is the fallacious tactic of picking out and showcasing the nuttiest member(s) of a group as the best representative(s) of that group — hence, “picking the nut”.

26 Likes

20 Likes

This comment needs more love…

2 Likes

OH, man. Thanks for sharing this. I am going to use it for rejecting so many bad arguments out there.

The right LOVES to find the most vocal, extreme view on an issue as if it discredits the whole issue. Like in your example, finding one actual Communist who votes Democrat and you frame the whole party as “Marxist-Leninist Stalinist Authoritarians”. And it has totally worked. Almost nothing I have heard from right wing pundits about their objections to the other side reflect actual reality.

4 Likes

Kudos, Brainspore! I googled like crazy for an image of “lobster in a bikini” and came up with nothing.

7 Likes

Sometimes a questionable search history is just the price we pay for a good meme.

19 Likes

For stuff like that search for “sexy _________ costume”. Pretty sure 90% of the time, it works every time.

4 Likes

My reaction to the most of the results of such a search…

My Eyes Pain GIF

7 Likes

15 Likes

Isn’t that what the business of modeling literally is though? What exactly are they being paid for, if not presenting an appearance that is assumed to be appealing?

I’m not saying JP isn’t a dick; I’m saying the modeling (and many similar) industry is inherently kinda fucked up and requires us to judge (usually women’s, usually positively) appearance in order for it to exist as a business model. In other words, it’s an industry of catering to the male gaze.

They’re modeling clothing, makeup, jewelry, shoes, gloves, etc. Fashion, in all its forms.

They’re literally supposed to be the hanger for whatever is being sold.

5 Likes

Some models and actors are paid to present an image that is unappealing though. They’re paid for the use of their likeness in media, and really whether anyone thinks they’re appealing and what that means is kind of beside the point. Example: she’s getting the magazine attention and aligning their brand with a concept whether you or anyone you know would want her body personally or not. Whether she’s appealing or not she’s still doing work as a model that is probably paying off. And… I’m sure a LOT of people do indeed find her appealing.

The urge to control what other people are allowed to find appealing is super strong in some folks though.

I… Really don’t understand that side of it.

12 Likes

Me, neither.
And there’s this really gross spin a lot of men put on the whole topic where they seem to find it impossible to consider whether they find something/someone appealing/attractive beyond, “do I want to f@%k them?” :nauseated_face:

11 Likes

Sure, modelling is a public presentation of beauty, and the SI swimsuit edution has strong connotations of sexiness, allure and even competition. Getting the cover is a little like an oscar. No one expects people not to notice or have a personal opinion or even editorialize a bit. The magazine thrives on secondary media attention, I’m sure.

That being said, no one asked nor required Peterson to weigh in on social media. If modelling is about inviting judgement about appearance, then social media is about inviting judgement on your opinions. He dished, couldn’t take.

Further, there’s a wide gulf between personal, subjective reaction (normal, natural in the face of a sexy mag cover) and using your platform as a public figure to make a sweeping “objective” statement about an entire body-type, wrapped in conspiracy. No model is “asking” for that.

13 Likes

Your ads are going to be very interesting for a while.

12 Likes

Yeah that too…And yet they never seem to get as mad that men they don’t want to fuck work as models and entertainers and get on the covers of magazines.

8 Likes

Exactly. The fact that his brittle thin skinned ego can’t take criticism for what he says while he’s trying to act tough for his sad little enclave of jerks. What a weak and pathetic guy. I mean, as a person she is definitely bigger than him.

9 Likes

He’s such a delicate little flower… I just want to hug him and hold him tight. Really, really tight.

6 Likes

Feeling Am Fine GIF by Freek Vonk

7 Likes