After six months of sickness, 5-year-old blows safety pin from nose

A friend and parent put it well with ‘you know you are a parent when your kid throws up on you and you hold against your sweater to keep it from getting on the carpet’

19 Likes

“Series Of Increasingly Unwise Instruments” would be one hell of a band name.

More on topic, this kind of reminds me of troubleshooting electronics. Are you sure you cleared the cache?

(Whichever type of reasoning posits the potential causes of an issue and then designs and implements tests to disprove each … internet not being helpful right now. That type of reasoning is extraordinarily useful generally.)

3 Likes

My 3yo stuck a popcorn kernel up her nose and we couldn’t get it out. At the ER the doctor had my wife pinch the other nostril and blow into her mouth like she was doing CPR. Out flew the kernel. “Mommy blew it out with a kiss” she told people.

I’d be nervous do to that unsupervised or without talking to a doctor about it first.

5 Likes

Sounds like a followup to A Series of Unfortunate Events.

3 Likes

Powell also told UPI that she’s getting "some of the most horrendous hate mail in regards to my parenting skills.

Jeez people are quick to judge when it comes to parenting. This could so easily happen to anyone.

13 Likes

Sorry, it’s just snot funny.

5 Likes

Sounds more like the title of a Brian Eno album

4 Likes

@japhroaig - this describes both your public performance and investment history, nu?

11 Likes

Just because I play the Gurdy and occasionally put money into risky instruments… Well just shut up :smiley:

7 Likes

Love your amiga punk, btw!

1 Like

Came from here, or hereabouts:

One of the saddest things I ever did was sell my Amiga 1000 off to a good home for $25.

4 Likes

I’m a parent. Still grossed out. Mostly because I start imagining it up there… ick.

2 Likes

Mmm or catch in your hands.

1 Like

I’d give you likes but I am out…

My A2000 was left behind in a storage unit that regrettably went unpaid. Stupid stupid stupid.

So stupid.

1 Like

When my son was about 18 months old he walked up to me with a strange look on his face. He coughed and out came a long stemmed drawing pin. The stem would have been 15mm long. By the look on his face he was glad to be rid of that one.

4 Likes

The scientific method?

Cute story: I was hiking out in New Mexico with my scout troop once, and while I was going I was eating pine needles. They don’t taste great but you can get used to it, and they’re chock full of vitamin C, and I knew vitamin C was very important for metabolism, and we’d run out of gatorade powder.

Anyway, after about 4 days in, I woke up coughing and snorting, and I just couldn’t breathe, and eventually, through a nosebleed (which terrified me. We were in bear country. Blood on the gear is a huge problem, and attracts both mini-bears and the big ones) I blew three twisted up pine needles out of my nose. To this day I have no idea how they got all the way in there. But it was the most satisfying thing ever getting those pointy things out of my nose.

8 Likes

Don’t let anybody tell you you’re a bad parent. This stuff happens all the time. My father was actually written up in the Sacramento Bee as “Little Dicky the Wonder Child” for the same misadventure, except he SWALLOWED the pin-- and coughed it back up six months later.

A couple years later he had to have the back of his skull wired back together with platinum wires because he popped open the doors on his father’s Graham (the doors open the other way on that car, they are called “suicide doors.”) He popped the door handle and got yanked into the ditch at 60 miles per hour.

This stuff happens. Don’t sweat it.

9 Likes

Pets are almost as effective at anti-ick innoculation

1 Like