Age Gate With Attitude

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/23/age-gate-with-attitude.html

3 Likes

It doesn’t consider what age you entered. It makes generic jokes about your age, the kind you might find on the inside of a birthday card. After a certain number of submissions, it just starts saying “no”.

It actually sends your birthdate off to a server, and gets a response back from the server. Which seems unnecessary, since client-side js would seem more suitable for the purpose.

22 Likes

It also doesn’t handle time travelers from the future.

15 Likes

Well I laughed.

5 Likes

Apparently doesn’t even do simple math.

And I wish grey hairs. Then I’d have hairs.

25 Likes

I put in a DOB in 1988, and it said something like, “Pretending to be a teenager is pervy.” So yes, there is no connection between the date and the insult. I didn’t bother going further. Disappointed.

25 Likes

They get gray all over… So far the facial hair is going gray faster than what is left up top.

6 Likes

Those are just one at a time going straight to white…oh! You said “facial hair”…

4 Likes

That too.

3 Likes

It’s 1993 again!

1 Like

I pretended to be 85, and it just constantly insulted me, on the grounds that 85 is impossibly old.

On balance, people should probably avoid making things that are mean to grandmas.

9 Likes

It seems we may have differing opinions on what “witty” means.
:man_shrugging:

19 Likes

It would be good if they defaulted to 1/1/1901, instead of making you actually change one of the sliders to get through.

2 Likes

Mildly amusing.

3 Likes

Fails at scaling elements properly on my mobile device (iPhone se). Both portrait and landscape.

A generic insult generator that has no relation to the data provided to it, where the insults are themselves pulled from a web service and the minified browser javascript code required to pull off this “witty” feat comes in at 43.6k. It’s hardly the most inspiring thing out there at the moment is it?

7 Likes

Do you feel insulted by their lack of commitment to the project? Maybe this is the level of meta-insult they were aiming for. :wink:

4 Likes

Thank goodness you saved us the trouble of enjoying the joke.

3 Likes

My main issue is that it doesn’t allow entry to anything. It’s not a gate, it’s a wall.

7 Likes

I plugged in the age of the oldest person in the world. Eventually it responded to congratulate me on being the world’s oldest person, but only after a half-dozen generic responses. It also said I didn’t look a day over 95, so thanks for the compliment I guess?

As an aside, I wonder whether any age gates check to see whether the inputted age exceeds the world record? Wouldn’t that be fun.