Ah, well...who wants to live forever?

I love how this scene has very little correlation between who gets hit by laser fire and who falls over dead.

5 Likes

blaster fire. Lasers are light. Blasters are… Something else.

3 Likes

Unusually slow light.

9 Likes

“super-heated energy”

2 Likes
7 Likes

A word of caution: The video quality pretty much reflects what should be expected of late 70s BBC videotaped productions… and along those lines I have read the grumblings of a few less “seasoned”, less worldly viewers. Where the production shines is in its razor-sharp script (always literary, and displaying a deliciously wicked sense of humor), and in the excellent, spirited acting throughout; you can’t lose with Blessed, Derek Jacobi, Sian Philips, John Hurt, and Patrick Stewart. The ultimate soap-opera of a dysfunctional Roman family of aristocrats. Note: In my opinion, the Blu-rays’ image quality is not that much better than that of the DVDs. I have both.

8 Likes

unpossible

7 Likes

I wish I could give this comment 5 likes or more. Maybe 15.

3 Likes

ALSO: for anybody who hasn’t seen this, BRIAN BLESSED TRAINING TO BE AN ASTRONAUT IRL

6 Likes

Little known fact: Blessed was asked to take over the role of Doctor Who from Hartnell. The story is that he turned it down, saying he thought he was too young. (Instead, he went on to play Porthos in The Three Musketeers.)

One of the most versatile actors there is, equally at home in Shakespearean tragedy, broad comedy, and action/adventure.

10 Likes

This. I still loved it but everyone else I suggested watch it watched one episode and thought I was nuts.

The cast was fantastic, but Derek Jacobi really made it for me. I’d love to see a lot more of him as The Master in Doctor Who (possible, what with time travel and everything); his two episode appearance was just a taster.

ETA gif awesomeness.

7 Likes

When BRIAN BLESSED whispers, the whole world hears

11 Likes

Prince Vultan was later deposed in a military coup by the hawkmen who also misheard the order.

6 Likes

And don’t forgot ROMANCE…

Also, he’s a pithy writer.

> Which living person do you most despise, and why? Trump. He is a fart.

11 Likes

Apparently, they were going to test the old adage that, “In space, no one can hear you scream”. It turns out the BRIAN BLESSSSSSED was the exception that proves the rule.

14 Likes

Pretty Polly Pretty Polly

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Peter Wyngarde in “Flash Gordon”. He doesn’t get many lines as the evil Klytus, but he delivers them with relish.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of Brian Blessed until he was on this radio show.

It was really confusing. How could this be a real person?

3 Likes

Now imagine climbing Mount Everest in his company :smiley: The risk of avalanches must has been scary.

blessed

He is also a vulgarian of some renown (WARNING: The following clip may contain more than the recommended daily dose of National Treasures).

8 Likes

For Hawkmen, would a barracks be known as a military coop?

16 Likes