Alex Jones must pay at least $4.1m to Sandy Hook parents for defamation, with punitive damages still to be decided

I am overcome by a complete lack of surprise.

7 Likes

Yes. And per the POPEHAT Twitter thread that was linked to upthread, apparently punitive damages in Texas require a unanimous jury verdict, which could be challenging since only 10 out of 12 jurors agreed to the compensatory damages. Still keeping fingers crossed for a big number though…

5 Likes

Bullshit Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

I couldn’t get the CNN link to play. It just spun and spun the loading circle.

Here’s (the same?) video on YouTube:

3 Likes

Is it possible that the 10/12 jurors agreeing to $4.1M is due to 2 of the jurors wanting the amount to be HIGHER? Because that would be a positive sign that punitive damages will be forthcoming, not stalled.

4 Likes

Yes, but the POPEHAT guy doesn’t think that’s likely based on questions from one of the jurors.

7 Likes

/satire

12 Likes

Per NYT, juror questions included one to a forensic economist about how much AJ’s income dropped after he was booted from social media. (The unsurprising answer is “None.”). Another juror question to an internet communications expert was “Can you swear before the jury that you are not a lizard person.”

I hope this is not representative of Texas juries. Unfortunately it takes a unanimous jury to award punitives, and “lizard person” can throw a wrench in the works. Possibly mistrial, or maybe low verdict to get “lizard person’s” consensus.

ETA: I hope I am proven wrong.

3 Likes

To be fair, if I was on the jury at an Alex Jones trial and had the opportunity to ask any question I liked, I don’t know if I could resist the temptation to ask some batshit questions.

8 Likes

True. I had the same thought. The article wasn’t clear if the judge actually let the question through.

2 Likes

A smaller violin to play for Jones or a bigger book to throw at him.

1 Like
3 Likes

$45.2 million in punitive damages against Alex Jones just announced.

15 Likes

Shaka Bra GIF by MOODMAN

8 Likes

So, so sweet.

Happy Friday!

12 Likes

There we go, that’s the good stuff.

2 Likes

Indeed. Not for that asshole.

Next in line…

Friday morning the jurors heard testimony about Jones’ wealth from an economist, Bernard Pettingill, Jr., who estimated Jones has a net worth of between $135 million and $270 million.

Now every other subsequent juror knows. Minus the $45m + 4 of course.

I hope that some of the parents can sleep better tonight.

11 Likes

Yep, great result.

3 Likes

And all the other families know that they will see at least some justice.

I want to see this asshole so penniless that he will welcome his long prison sentence as a way of getting food and a bed.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.