Alex Jones ordered to pay $1m in legal fees to Sandy Hook parents

Originally published at: Alex Jones ordered to pay $1m in legal fees to Sandy Hook parents | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Thats It GIF by 2020 MTV Video Music Awards

33 Likes

It’s a start; it had better not be the ending.

38 Likes

Motivation Good Luck GIF by Britannia on EPIX

24 Likes

What new excuse will this deadbeat come up with to avoid paying?

21 Likes

It’s truly impressive how badly Jones managed to lose this case given how much leeway Americans are granted under the First Amendment.

You have to try incredibly hard to get yourself in this much legal trouble over something you said.

24 Likes

dead GIF

16 Likes

The news that Jones has “generated” $165M from people who are eager to listen to his bullshit is a truly damning indictment of our society.

29 Likes

If he refuses to pay, can those families do what this Philadelphia man did in 2011 to Wells Fargo? If Jones owns the studio where he films his “content” that should be the first target of that levy. I’d pledge a couple bucks to a crowdfunding campaign to buy it (or at least drive up the price Jones has to pay to buy it back.)

12 Likes

There will come a day when we never hear about this GQP scum, he will be safely interned as a Walmart Greeter. The world will be a better place.

9 Likes

Importantly, this was just about the legal fees. The post explicitly says that “In the two cases he has already lost, damages are yet to be assessed.” So he lost the cases in two states and the judges have determined that he will be paying damages. At this point it’s going to be up to juries to determine what that amount will be. Since these are civil cases that don’t require unanimous votes, it seems unlikely that one or two nut jobs will be able to deadlock the juries or return an assessment of zero dollars, so he’ll likely be paying out a lot. But we’ll see what happens.

18 Likes

It’s fun to be first, but usually better to read more than the headline before posting. :wink:

In the two cases he has already lost, damages are yet to be assessed.

3 Likes

Not enough. Make him pay more.

7 Likes

Unfortunately in cases like this, the payments (if they come) can take a decade or more, and sometimes never happen. They get buried in appeals, then payment plans, then those are appealed, then the perpetrator dies and his estate sues to eliminate the debt, etc. In the end the victims never see a dime and the perpetrator’s lifestyle is not particularly altered other than having to pay his team of lawyers for the rest of his life.

7 Likes

Okay… I get it folks. Sorry for making a stupid joke… jeez…

5 Likes

That was exactly my thought. How the Hell does he generate that much money?

In a just world he’d be a pauper.

3 Likes

and I thought myself a decent human being above the temptation of going to a big box store just to belittle one of one the employees.

3 Likes

“I don’ wanna! I don’ wanna! I don’ wanna! Waaaaaaaaah!”

1 Like

He should be paying $1 mill to every Sandy Hook family involved including those that did not lose a child.
They are also victims here.

2 Likes

If the bankruptcy judge has any conscience at all, he’ll reject this asshole’s petititon for bankruptcy.

#NeverVoteRepublican
#TaxTheRich
#TaxTheChurches

3 Likes