All 12 boys rescued from Thai cave

that.

In Germany, too, the Thai cave kids are a media staple for the bourgeoisie, which at the same has an open-ended debate about whether it is better to save African people from drowning in the Mediterranean, or, well, let the drown, because they can not seriously all come here, you know?

2 Likes

I’m just cheering not having to see the damn headlines anymore, about the grandstanding twit’s pressurized can.

1 Like

I’m a bigger fan of the pressurized rescue container (definitely not a “submarine”) than I am of his vacuum tube trains for the rich. We already have the technology to make trains run at high speed - bigger, more efficient trains. We just lack the political will to pay for them.

When I was a kid, I’d get so mad at that clumsy nurse!

2 Likes

Medic and divers have now left the cave

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/thai-navy-seals-medic-thumbs-following-successful-cave-182104385--abc-news-topstories.html

3 Likes

I think the rescue canister (or whatever its called) is interesting, but that’s neither here nor there. For the purposes of the story at hand i was more focused on the rescue than anything involving Elon Musk, and i’m glad the kids are ok. If other people are annoyed at Musk then sure i totally get it, i personally find it easy to ignore him.

4 Likes

Oh. Very well then. I’ve been more interested in the story at hand as well, and in the interest of musk and his toy fading into the background again, I’m fine leaving it there.

3 Likes

What’s the big deal about quarantine? It seems pretty over the top…

I don’t know. It could be a thing.

4 Likes

Hmm. I thought maybe the authorities were being overcautious due to all the media attention; it seemed a bit much that the kids couldn’t immediately be reunited with their families…

But yeah, I guess that’s fair enough.

I was wondering WTF the coach was thinking with this crazy excursion… crawling through a 38cm gap? What could go wrong?

1 Like

This thread says it best about the Musk situation:

Of course he was told “keep it on standby”, because you don’t tell the tetchy tech billionaire “no”, because he’s liable to do something stupid.

3 Likes

As someone else observed; the kids in Flint Michigan might want some help from a billionaire.

14 Likes

I guess if you’re a billionaire, it can be hard to tell when you’re having delusions of grandeur…

1 Like

No, sorry, it’s too large even for you.

Yeah well, sorry but that’s as polite as I can be about some rich a-hole who shows up in the middle of a dangerous complex multi-stage rescue operation with his unproven funtoy.

A few questions:

• Just how claustrophobic would the spam-in-a-can experience be for a scared kid, when there’s no way to reassure him if he starts to flip out?
  • Scuba regulators are a long-proven technology. What is handling the environment inside that tube, figuring out when to add more air, exhaust the CO2?
  • How much time do the divers have to practice, train using it and maneuvering it? What’s the downside if they make a mistake?
  • Is these any way for the divers outside to monitor the condition of the kid inside?
  • Can they open it quickly if there’s a problem, while they’re underwater and subject to currents? Do they need special tools?
  • Does it come with a manual?

I get that Elon Musk means well, and it’s an interesting project, but he better realize that he’s not Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne or the Thunderbirds. When there’s a complex rescue operation already happening, stay out of their way, don’t distract them and STFU.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that it was a really small submarine.

1 Like

Every point you make is valid, but your argument only really works now that the rescue has succeeded. If it had played out differently, then a device like Musk’s might actually have been needed. What if the whole cave system was flooded, requiring tank changes under water for the whole trip out? There are plenty of alternative scenarios where some creative (and dangerous) engineering would actually make the situation less worse.

1 Like

Really creative (and really dangerous - hey - a guy died) engineering did make things a whole lot less worse. It just didn’t do so with an amateur with zero real world experience adding to the risk.

https://vimeo.com/groups/326115/videos/141371878

1 Like

More internet rage about the rescue.

1 Like

Gah! Did anyone have any knowledge of the cave system on the way in? Going past that choke point without knowing what’s beyond is insanity, wet or dry. (Even if they knew, respect for those British divers who searched past that point.)

1 Like