All Cops Are Buttheads

A settlement for the family, but zero consequences for the cops:

9 Likes
10 Likes

A former Louisiana police chief turned himself in on Tuesday after a grand jury charged him with five felony counts of malfeasance in office, WBRZ reports.

Kenny Payne later bonded out of jail. He has been accused of offering to drop people’s charges in exchange for sex. One of the counts is in regards to an incident where he asked a subordinate to delete text messages that he sent to a victim. He also reportedly asked Iberville Parish Sheriff Brett Stassi “to not conduct or to cease conducting an investigation of him.”

8 Likes

One step towards justice?

9 Likes

Another case involving a mental health crisis, and a very different outcome for the cops involved. For some reason, using tasers or shooting people in the legs never seems to happen in these situations:

10 Likes

38 shots. At a guy with only a knife.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Body cam footage shows Tampa police chief using position to get out of traffic violation | Tampa | Creative Loafing Tampa Bay

6 Likes

And this is how other cops feel about the incident with the Tampa police chief.

“Listen, it is really not that big of a deal,” Dorsey said dismissing the incident. “She didn’t do anything that every police officer hasn’t done. And let’s not pretend that sexism just only occurs in the rank and file. I mean, there have been at least six female police chiefs who have been run out on the rails since 2020 for one reason or another. And so listen, it is a catch-22. If she hadn’t I.D.'d herself, someone would have said why didn’t the chief I.D. herself? We do that expecting professional courtesy like when you run into your colleagues so I think in this case chief O’Connor doesn’t have her cart connected to the right horse. One of the city council members didn’t want her selected anyway. And so now, because it is a patriarchal society, they’ll decide what kind of discipline they’ll mete out. It would be a reprimand, it could be a paper penalty or days after and/or termination.”

9 Likes

It 100% struck me when this was hitting the news: why THIS officer (Chief)? Yes it’s inappropriate and it’s also something I reckon is standard operating procedure. There must be cops perking up everywhere thinking “oh shit, could have been me”. There are all sorts of sketchy ways that cops avoid punishing their own, like the badge stickers cop families put on their license plates. Of course there was no license plate here, sooo

3 Likes

Same. When I first read it I thought there would be more to the story. Like, that she was hostile to the cop, or something along those lines. The whole thing seemed to be standard “cops giving cops a pass” kind of thing.

I seem to recall a story from a few years back when a cop gave another, from a different jurisdiction, cop a ticket, and it caused a big blowup between the two cop-shops.

5 Likes

When I first read it, all the cases in which women in law enforcement got more negative press and harsher penalties than their male colleagues came to mind. Now I’m wondering about the outcome of the case you mentioned, so we can compare when this one is resolved.

7 Likes

Ok, WTAF:

8 Likes

Cops of a different kind.

6 Likes

Old news, but worth sharing. You can’t make this shit up.
Colorado’s most ethinically diverse city hired this guy as interim chief. This follows a long search after which three candidates were interviewed and two dropped out upon visiting Aurora.

3 Likes

This happened in a city where cops can’t be bothered to respond to 911 calls for active burglaries, or even active shooters in any neighborhood, regardless of economic status or what ethnicities predominate.
“Go online and file a report,” then pay money and wait forever to get a hard copy. Somehow, they found the time and resources to terrorize this lady… Ugh.

3 Likes
6 Likes

A perfect if tragic illustration of the failings of the, “I was just joking,” defense. :cry:

5 Likes

And, she’s resigned. And her fellow cops are being shitty about it.

5 Likes
10 Likes