America, please don't explore planets when you haven't even had a sausage roll

It does have a certain Venus Flytrap feel to it.
If you try to take a bit of pepperoni from the middle, its gonna snap itself around your hand and start digesting you.

2 Likes

No steamed Chinese pork buns with sausage and quail eggs?

7 Likes

6 Likes

Just as long as it isn’t a Greggs.

3 Likes

I could live on them! Last time I was there, I discovered that they have Cornish pasty shops in the train stations. And they’re freaky good! It’s good thing they don’t exist here or I’d weigh 300 lbs.

1 Like

5 Likes

California burrito, aka carne asada burrito with fries… You get them in Mexican fast food joints in CA. I’ve never seen one in Mexico. They’re amazing.

Edit: that thing @smulder posted a pic of. They aren’t usually that pretty though.

3 Likes

The so-called California burrito is specifically a San Diego thing. I think surfers were looking for a cheeseburger-and-fries equivalent that you could eat with one hand.

3 Likes

Those are all fine and good, but they are NOT chip butties!
A chip butty is good chunky chips, with vinegar, on a bun, with tomahto sauce!

I just wish we could get a munchy box over here!!

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/munchy-box

3 Likes

A bit of salsa and avocado can only do it good.

You can whatever you like, but thats not a chip butty!

1 Like

Agreed. The taste of the chips/fries gets lost in the burrito. Carne asada is usually pretty spicy.

I regret to say I’ve never had one (chip butty, that is)… is the tomato sauce more towards the savory Italian-style sauce or more on the ketchup-y side?

Its more like ketchup. But the vinegar makes it tangy!

1 Like

It sounds excellent! Where must I travel to to get one of these?

London? Manchester? Toronto?

1 Like

Been to the first two. I may have been so obsessed with the pasties that I missed the chip butties. Believe it or not, I have been all over the world, but I have never visited our neighbors to the north. Must remedy that.

I guess I better go make dinner. RatBoy the Younger is sitting on my lap and the pictures in this thread are making him crazy. :smile:

4 Likes

I think we need a group trip to Scotland just to order a munchy box…

11 Likes

Your own kitchen :wink:

2 Likes

ETA: I don’t usually drink beer, but I could imagine drinking a couple and eating that - and waking up the next day feeling 20 LBS heavier…

4 Likes

My sympathy is with all you Yanks who have existed without any/good sausage rolls until now. Poor bastards.

1 Like