American-born Muslim harassed in line at supermarket: "I wish they didn't let you in the country"

For what crimes are they going to jail?

3 Likes

Can you recommend a website with links and stories about these wonderful things?

20 Likes

Welcome to the new normal, slithering out from under a rock near you.

3 Likes

High crimes and misdemeanors, duh. They’re going to be the highest this country’s ever seen. Sad!

2 Likes

Oh yes, of course - but they never seem to get the same amount of attention as this stuff does.

4 Likes

The president is secretly Gary Busey?

7 Likes

That’s a great idea. Perhaps a ‘Directory of Wonderful Things’? Or at least mostly wonderful.

5 Likes

Up until a few months ago, I would have said the same about a Trump presidency. Stay vigilant!

4 Likes

I was amused by this!

Oh, carp. That chuckle didn’t last long.

4 Likes

Yes, except not secretly.

1 Like

… yes, and given Trump’s use of racism, a gateway to totalitarianism.

We recently watched a Twilight Zone episode (“He’s Alive”) from 1963, one not far removed from the hyper-jingoistic, nightmarish, McCarthy era (obviously, with that bit of history informing the great Rod Serling, the episode writer).

In the episode, an American Nazi Stormtrooper wanna-be (brilliantly played by a very young Dennis Hopper) is secretly counseled and advanced by a spectral Adolph Hitler. We were struck by the fact that almost every single word in the dialogue – Hitler’s advice, a German-Jew character’s observations and fears, Dennis Hopper’s stump speeches, and Serling’s narration – mirrored perfectly our current suspicions and Trump’s rise. Perfectly.

The episode title and the explanatory ending was, for me, the most disturbing part: “He” stands for Hitler’s dream, and should always be considered to be “Alive”, and therefore constantly guarded against. The case was being made that a complacent attitude (Oh! Totalitarianism could NEVER take hold in America) is a naïve and dangerous one, and that tyranny should be identified and stopped early before it takes hold. Because once it’s in…

17 Likes

War. That’s how incredibly unpopular leaders create distraction.

16 Likes

I Googled “viral videos” and this list came up. Lots of good stuff here.

Edited to add: Oops. I get it now.

http://mashable.com/category/viral-video/

I guess. I’m usually a cranky pessimist, but I feel like I see these things so often I get sick of them. And remember the “ice bucket challenge” viral videos?

I really don’t think you need to look very hard to find positive stuff on the internet. Or in your inbox.

Because then JAAAAAAAYYYYYYzussssss will come back.

15 Likes

It might have been the USA Today. They ran a WWIII headline recently.

1 Like

Feelin’ mighty QUUUEEAAASSY over here!!

1 Like

It was the National Enquirer:

But USA Today doesn’t surprise me either. In the immortal words of Cenk Uygur, USA TODAY, YOU SUCK BALLS!

3 Likes

11 Likes

It’s not hard to seek out the good stories, but they often don’t get as many clicks as does outrage (justifiable or otherwise).

7 Likes

"It’s a phenomenon called “negativity bias.” “Over and over,” Jonathan Haidt, a psychologist, says, “the mind reacts to bad things more quickly, strongly and persistently than to equivalent good things.” Or as Roy Baumeister, a fellow psychologist, puts it, “It’s evolutionarily adaptive for bad to be stronger than good.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2013/06/14/overcoming-your-negativity-bias/?referer=

14 Likes