American-born Muslim harassed in line at supermarket: "I wish they didn't let you in the country"

Hoo boy. Hey, @beschizza, looks like it’s on. Get shoopin’!

5 Likes

The irony is that Obama was actually our most recent Christian president.

Also, I suspect, some conservative projecting, knowing, at least on a subconscious level, that someone in the Trump admin is going to jail.

It’s kind of amazing how direct the connection is, too.

Seriously, the shopping cart for the single item might actually be evidence for her cognitive impairment. I mean, if she wasn’t saying crazy things, you might just assume that she came in expecting to buy lots of stuff and changed her mind, but all together, it indicates some acutely disordered thinking.

That was an extremely alarming headline - that’s got to be seeping into people’s consciousnesses.

12 Likes

I think I’ve reached my breaking point.

@CarlMud, I don’t do the Reddit.

@Magdalene, it’s all about mindfulness, am I correct?

3 Likes

I was always of the opinion that if Obama was a secret anything, he was a secret Atheist. There were a few hints in one of his books that he wasn’t the most theistic of thinkers.

6 Likes

I always more or less assumed at the very least he wasn’t particularly religious; it’s the sad nature of modern America to pretend to be more theistic than one actually is to get into politics. But he’s certainly more of a Christian than Trump, whether one defines the term by culture, belief, deed or just knowledge of scripture.

5 Likes

in b4 someone mentions drone-bombing

If you are not seeing several different cute animal pic and videos and other uplifting thing in your timeline then either follow people who share such thing or become that person. Once you start you’ll probably find some of your friends follow and you can spread the happy to alleviate some of the darkness of current events.

1 Like

One could offer Obama the benefit of the doubt, in that it’s hardly unusual for someone to convert when marrying a believer.

Trump, on the other hand, briefly pretended to be something he was not, during the campaign, for votes. There was no other reason.

2 Likes

For me it is :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No you’re not.

1 Like

ha, I shoulda known.

Rather irresponsible of the enquirer, to lay out a step by step plan of crushing the 8 victims, wet dips limps chips and all

1 Like

i saw that one, too, and did the same double-take.

2 Likes

i wish she would’ve replied, “you know what ‘set me off’? you boldly being a goddamn a RACIST, that’s what.”

6 Likes

It still amazes me how people confuse nationality for religion. Do Christian bigots even read their bible, and understand that their system was imported from the same distant region?

6 Likes

being black and being a woman and thinking they have the right to run the country of course… \s

um no, it was all the racist comments that lead up to that. that humorous segue was the least offensive part.

pretty sure he was an atheist doing the christian dance. but he was still more christian then Trump, who couldn’t name any of the books of the bible at first, then his horrible quote from “corithians 2” without knowning anything about second corithians or who the corithians were, what the book is called, or anything about the deep irony of his quote meaning the exact oppsite of how he was using it. then his quote about the bible being a pretty good book, his book being good too. Trump is the exact kind of leader that the bible calls out again and again, any christian that support him should be ashamed.

2 Likes

Christians from the west have long had a habit of thinking that because they are Christians that their view of the faith gives them some sort of ownership over the region. They are also interpreting their holy books in light of their own beliefs about themselves and their culture, which they believe has some inherent superiority over others.

19 Likes

Yeah. Even if we assume Obama was really not a theist, he was still at least part of a church and its community, whereas Trump’s only sign of religiosity on any level, even feigned, existed purely for political gain - and he couldn’t have possibly made it more obvious. I was always “amused” that Obama got it from the right for being a “Muslim” but at the same time was criticized for the “anti-American” views of the pastor of his church - sometimes by the same people. Logic!

Honestly, I think a lot of American Christians never even think about it. They have their paintings and movies with the “Standard White Jesus” (who might even be blond), Protestant sects that view the King James version of the Bible as the “original” document (because they only speak English but also want to be Biblical literalists, which isn’t possible if one acknowledges the translation issues from Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic). So if they think about the Biblical Middle East, they think about white people speaking English. They generally don’t think about other countries, don’t have any conception that other cultures might do things or think differently, and more or less assume that all other languages are basically just cyphers for English, perhaps using funny letters (which is why you have so many people who get Chinese-character tattoos that they think are their initials). If someone does point out that someone does things differently, even if they’re Americans, that makes them foreign (and scary) - unlike the Bible, the events of which basically took place in the deserts of Idaho, as far as they’re concerned.

15 Likes

Holy jesus what are these goddamn animals!?

1 Like

They love reminding everyone America is a Republic, not a Democracy.

Unless there is a minority group they want to oppress. Then all of a sudden it’s “majority rule” again.

2 Likes